Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 09:19 AM

387 posts, read 352,231 times

Advertisements

Good Morning City Data!

I am thinking about applying at another company, in the same field. Still going back and forth, but trying to get all my ducks in a row. Not that I am expecting an offer or anything, but I want to be prepared just in case it happens. What I am asking is when it comes to benefits, how do you approach the subject? For example, let's say I received an offer for a comparable salary, but I wanted to know the cost of the health insurance they provide, is that possible? I have seen some people ask for a benefits summary, but wondered if it went into detail. I certainly wouldn't want to accept an offer only to find out the health insurance for example would be 3x what I am paying now.

Has anyone done that? Do companies give that information out to people they offer jobs too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
of course they can give it to you. I wouldn't expect details until an actual offer comes your way; but they will at least give you an idea of what the benefits are after the 1st interview

Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM

I really wouldn't expect anything in detail until an offer comes anyways. The website lists the benefits and what they offer. I am just hoping for more detail like costs so I can compare.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I make sure to ALWAYS ask for benefit details when they give me an offer. It makes all the difference in the world. A 50k job paying 90% of your health insurance could easily trump a 70k job paying 10% of your health insurance.

No employer has ever thought twice about providing the information. They give me what you get when you are hired to show the benefits and related costs.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I make sure to ALWAYS ask for benefit details when they give me an offer. It makes all the difference in the world. A 50k job paying 90% of your health insurance could easily trump a 70k job paying 10% of your health insurance.

No employer has ever thought twice about providing the information. They give me what you get when you are hired to show the benefits and related costs.
Thanks, that is exactly what I am interested in. I certainly appreciate the response!

Old 11-10-2015, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Yes, in fact when making an offer we use the benefits as a tool to help get the candidate to accept. In our case, like many, there is a choice of 3 healthcare plans, with varying levels of premium contribution and benefit, so you may want to see it in writing. They could offer you a plan with no premium but you pay for everything up to $3,000/year before the provider starts paying, and then only 80%. That may not be nearly as good as a plan where you pay 200/month but then only a $25 deductible per visit/treatment. You don't want to just go by the percentage of the premium any more.
In our case, the plan I'm on costs my employer $1,900/month, and I only pay about 5%, but the out-of-pocket has cost me about $6,000 on top of that so far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search