Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,506 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with the processes here. What happens if they come back saying they don't have a record of me working there? Could they assume seems it was so long ago they don't have the record of me anymore (it was 10 years ago), or would they assume i never worked there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 PM

367 posts, read 458,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules85 View Post

I know what i did was wrong, but i was desperate to get a job and i am not sure whether i should just pray they don't get back (or do respond back but say they have no record of me being there), as that is better than them coming back and straight up saying i only worked there a few weeks. Does anyone have good suggestions of what the best thing is i should do?

Yep, the rules of life apply to you too.
You lied and misrepresented yourself. You think you have the right to this job? And what makes you think people should give you advice on how to make it right? It's the people like you who give honest people a bad name.

All you should do is learn from your mistake as you look for another job.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,998,660 times
Quote:
I live in the USA and moved here from abroad. I only recently got eligibility to work and so i have never had a job in the USA. The last thing i did in my country of origin before i moved here was a few weeks admin work experience unpaid.

I graduated almost a year ago and i think due to no work experience i have had no luck in that time getting an admin position. After a while i thought my only hope was to change the few weeks to a longer period and changed it to 2 years on my resume and started getting more calls back.

I have this one company (just a family run small business), offer me a job with them and they asked for work experience. I put that job on there but never put a number seems i didn't think they would call overseas. I did say yes to may we contact this employer though, but never thought they would seems they told me they don't call overseas.

So the background check company they hired called me yesterday to say they couldn't call the company as it was overseas but they emailed them and are waiting to hear back.

I know what i did was wrong, but i was desperate to get a job and i am not sure whether i should just pray they don't get back (or do respond back but say they have no record of me being there), as that is better than them coming back and straight up saying i only worked there a few weeks. Does anyone have good suggestions of what the best thing is i should do?
Step 1. Stop lying
Step 2. Resume your job search
Step 3. Refer to Step 1

And...if by some miracle you still get this job....still refer to Step 1!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,604,132 times
I would just wait to hear back from them. If they don't say anything, then consider yourself lucky. If they do say something, admit to it then. Lesson learned! Next time, be truthful on an application!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,770,018 times
Yeah, lying is a big no no. You can volunteer and brush up your resume with learned skills but don't stretch the truth.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,019,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I would just wait to hear back from them. If they don't say anything, then consider yourself lucky. If they do say something, admit to it then. Lesson learned! Next time, be truthful on an application!
Agreed. If they come back to you just say "oh I made a mistake about the timing."

Why on earth do they even care about a job from 10 years ago?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,947,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Agreed. If they come back to you just say "oh I made a mistake about the timing."

Why on earth do they even care about a job from 10 years ago?
what? No way!! you can't claim you made a mistake on timing when it was weeks versus 2 YEARS.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,565,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
what? No way!! you can't claim you made a mistake on timing when it was weeks versus 2 YEARS.
Lol right? This is a bit hard to explain. It's not like we list days on resumes, like: 8/10/13 to 8/30/15. If they did that they could say WHOOPS I mean 8/10/15. lol

Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 AM

412 posts, read 452,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Under the circumstances as you state them, this suggestion seems reasonable to me.

Personally, I doubt you will hear any more about it.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,294,512 times
Quote:
I live in the USA and moved here from abroad. I only recently got eligibility to work and so i have never had a job in the USA. The last thing i did in my country of origin before i moved here was a few weeks admin work experience unpaid.

I graduated almost a year ago and i think due to no work experience i have had no luck in that time getting an admin position. After a while i thought my only hope was to change the few weeks to a longer period and changed it to 2 years on my resume and started getting more calls back.

I have this one company (just a family run small business), offer me a job with them and they asked for work experience. I put that job on there but never put a number seems i didn't think they would call overseas. I did say yes to may we contact this employer though, but never thought they would seems they told me they don't call overseas.

So the background check company they hired called me yesterday to say they couldn't call the company as it was overseas but they emailed them and are waiting to hear back.

The best thing to do, is contact them immediately and say you wish to correct the information because you made a mistake on it. Update it and see what happens. If you get serious questions about it, then deal with it. If you don't end up getting a job because of it, take this as a lesson to never do this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search