Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM

440 posts, read 549,789 times

Advertisements

So I am in final rounds of interviewing with a great company. The recruiter for them tells me they just have to verify my resume listed jobs, education etc. All good..

EXCEPT. for about 8 months I worked for a Start up software company , unpaid , well no w2 etc. There was about 5 of us, have whereabouts of 2 co workers, the founders are LONG GONE. On social media sites but have no updates in about 2 years.

This potions was only taken due to a family health issue and could not be employed n a regular basis so took this educational experience potion instead of just sitting and waiting for a death in the family ( sorry so grim)

The recruiter is basically saying I now cannot be trusted and will not recommend me for this job due to this massive issue... Mind you everything is approved , and even had co worker give a singed testimonial of my dealings....

COMMENTS SUGGESTIONS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Was the start up licensed to operate as a business? There should be a record of that.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Was the start up licensed to operate as a business? There should be a record of that.
Yeah I'd go this route. If the start up wasn't licensed and has no documentation, and you weren't paid, then it sounds like it was just a bunch of people sitting around talking about big plans, with no real action. If you actually had a legitimate start-up then you'd have something to prove it.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah I'd go this route. If the start up wasn't licensed and has no documentation, and you weren't paid, then it sounds like it was just a bunch of people sitting around talking about big plans, with no real action. If you actually had a legitimate start-up then you'd have something to prove it.

Honestly, That EXACTLY what it ended up being.. I was with them for 5 months and was paid with educational classes ( have proof). I took this due to family health issues not as a career move.. MY issue is the company knows and gets this the recuritor is one being difficult..HOwever I can't go around the recruitor

Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Just tell them the truth. If they want to hire you, they will. I can't see that your time with the start-up company would be a deal breaker.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:25 PM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
So I am in final rounds of interviewing with a great company. The recruiter for them tells me they just have to verify my resume listed jobs, education etc. All good..

EXCEPT. for about 8 months I worked for a Start up software company , unpaid , well no w2 etc. There was about 5 of us, have whereabouts of 2 co workers, the founders are LONG GONE. On social media sites but have no updates in about 2 years.

This potions was only taken due to a family health issue and could not be employed n a regular basis so took this educational experience potion instead of just sitting and waiting for a death in the family ( sorry so grim)

The recruiter is basically saying I now cannot be trusted and will not recommend me for this job due to this massive issue... Mind you everything is approved , and even had co worker give a singed testimonial of my dealings....

COMMENTS SUGGESTIONS.
There should be incorporation records with the Secretary of State of your state. Were there other workers?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Why can't you go around the recruiter?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Exactly. If the company knows why is the recruiter interfering?

Old 12-05-2015, 05:46 PM

393 posts, read 360,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
because some people need to justify their existence, lol
you would think the recruiter would want to close...not a very good salesman

Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I wan't to just wasn't sure how this would look. Going around the "middle man" ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

The company , in general, does not want to deal directly with prospects, however I am one of (two) people left in process.

At this point I just have to do go around them due to the scenario, just thought would look rather unprofession or sneaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search