Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:57 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
For him to be quiet, I suspect December did not turn out well.

this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have worked with people who were undergoing chemo or for kidney dialysis. They had to take time off for their medical treatment but worked out schedules with their managers that were satisfactory to everyone. Taking time off for doctor appointments is no excuse for leaving your desk at will or taking off a great deal of time during working hours. These things can be arranged if they are discussed with the employer. Otherwise, it just appears the person is just looking for excuses to take time off.

Employers are not heartless about these things but the employee has to meet them halfway.

Most are. I frequently hear horror stories from Corporate "at will" America, where good workers have suffered an unfortunate illness and is fired. I know the corporate shills here will dispute/justify these types of things. Good to know I'm in a country where employees enjoy more protection from corporate heartlessness. Amazing that workers have many more right than their poor U$ counterparts, yet companies here still make good profits. This would never fly in america, where the Corporate Gods have everyone convinced that they must give their lives for The Company, and profit for a few rules over decency.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Most are. I frequently hear horror stories from Corporate "at will" America, where good workers have suffered an unfortunate illness and is fired. I know the corporate shills here will dispute/justify these types of things. Good to know I'm in a country where employees enjoy more protection from corporate heartlessness. Amazing that workers have many more right than their poor U$ counterparts, yet companies here still make good profits. This would never fly in america, where the Corporate Gods have everyone convinced that they must give their lives for The Company, and profit for a few rules over decency.
Anything can happen anywhere but I have most places in which I have worked people who have had to leave for treatment for these serious illnesses were not fired or forced to take a leave and that was what I was referring to. I have also worked for a few that were not so generous but more of them were than not. I am talking about some very large corporations in both situations.

Those who have been following the OP's story on his other threads will understand that I was referring to his situation where he posted that he had started a new position and within just a few months had just left the office to go to doctor's appointments numerous times without saying anything to anybody. I don't care who you work for, you don't just get up and leave. That's very unprofessional not to say inconsiderate towards your co-workers.

When he was called on the carpet for it, he complained that he was being picked on for taking time off to get medical treatment.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM

144 posts, read 115,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have worked with people who were undergoing chemo or for kidney dialysis. They had to take time off for their medical treatment but worked out schedules with their managers that were satisfactory to everyone. Taking time off for doctor appointments is no excuse for leaving your desk at will or taking off a great deal of time during working hours. These things can be arranged if they are discussed with the employer. Otherwise, it just appears the person is just looking for excuses to take time off.

Employers are not heartless about these things but the employee has to meet them halfway.
Most are heartless, horrible and unwilling to compromise. Everyone I have ever had to deal with (which is very few, by the way) does not care about that stuff.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Most are heartless, horrible and unwilling to compromise. Everyone I have ever had to deal with (which is very few, by the way) does not care about that stuff.
I won't disagree with you. We have all had our own experiences. But as I mentioned, I was speaking in specifics in which someone just walked off the job to go to medical appointments and that isn't right either.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just finished preparing for my 3.5 hour interview tomorrow here in Columbus.

All I do is research and learn about the company (history, business structure, products, financial facts, etc.). Then, I come up with a bunch of potential questions that I might ask for each appropriate person.

I do not really spend much time rehearsing or preparing answers to questions, because I have interviewed SO many times over the past year and prior years that it's ingrained in my mind how to answer questions and talk about things. Plus, I'm a believer in that answers should come naturally, as long as I keep it positive and be enthusiastic, smile and be personable, etc.

Yay!

Any more interviews? I recall you wanted to be working by the end of January, which is now just 27 days away.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Any more interviews? I recall you wanted to be working by the end of January, which is now just 27 days away.
He has a new thread but it doesn't sound like he's had any success.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
He has a new thread but it doesn't sound like he's had any success.

Guess it is gone already.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Guess it is gone already.
Interesting. The conversation was friendly, so not sure why it was deleted.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
why are employers/companies confused as people? They can't "be" heartless... they are machines. They do what they are made to do, make profit. They do what the commands are given to them on how to operate...

if you don't like your computer, do you bargain with it in hopes it can do something new? that it wasn't built for? Or get a new computer? If a company isn't providing what you want, you move to the next one that will provide what you are looking for...

in that regard, I can't blame nep for seeking new employment, but he isn't seeking it because he wanted something the old job didn't provide... he was simply fired for over reaching his position. He could try to find a job that is as "flexible" as he wants, but he may be looking for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search