Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 20,572 times

Advertisements

I think some people on here misunderstood my question. My question is really can an employee ask the new hiring employer to wait until all drug screen tests come back CLEAN before proceeding with leaving the two week notice and signing the offer letter? Or does that sound shady and would be risking them to pull the offer letter? Also what is a good legit or justified reasoning to throw at them about the waiting period without going into details much?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
I think some people on here misunderstood my question. My question is really can an employee ask the new hiring employer to wait until all drug screen tests come back CLEAN before proceeding with leaving the two week notice and signing the offer letter? Or does that sound shady and would be risking them to pull the offer letter? Also what is a good legit or justified reasoning to throw at them about the waiting period without going into details much?
It sounds very shady! Wait until you have an official offer to give notice at your current company. If that means waiting for the drug test, do not give notice until that comes back clean.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
I think he wants to know how to ask the new employer to delay the drug test so he can be sure to come back clean.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM

23 posts, read 20,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I think he wants to know how to ask the new employer to delay the drug test so he can be sure to come back clean.

Yep thats it! So any advise on that would be appreciated!

Last edited by farzadkavari; 12-11-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 01:39 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Wait for the offer letter, then wait as long as they allow for the response. Once you respond they will give you a process for taking the drug test and finishing the process. Just wait as long as possible in between without going over a deadline. The longer you wait, the better your chances for not showing up on a drug screen for dope you didn't smoke.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:21 PM

150 posts, read 172,106 times
If your hiring is dependent on the drug test, negotiate your start date to be at least 2 weeks AFTER they get the test results back. Then you have enough time to give a 2 week notice at your current job if you need to.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:01 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Wow! Was that the question? I never would have gotten that from his/her post. Might need to delay that test a little longer. lol

OP, there is no way to finesse this to make it sound better. If I'm the new employer and you start waffling about taking the test, you have raised all sorts of antenna with me. Best advice I can give is not to give notice until the test results come back, but I'm not sure if that is an option.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Try calling the testing org after you get the offer letter. If they refuse to give you info, tell them it's your record not theirs and ask to speak with the supervisor.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:00 PM

639 posts, read 579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Wow! Was that the question? I never would have gotten that from his/her post. Might need to delay that test a little longer. lol

OP, there is no way to finesse this to make it sound better. If I'm the new employer and you start waffling about taking the test, you have raised all sorts of antenna with me. Best advice I can give is not to give notice until the test results come back, but I'm not sure if that is an option.
I know, how the hell did you get to that conclusion. The Idea of the new company drug testing you, is to see if you use drugs. why would they postpone it. If they do then why have a drug test.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:12 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
Can I leave my two-week notice with my current employer after my drug test/background check comes back clean?

I could have a real great opportunity to be employed soon with a great company and I really do not want to risk losing out on it also not wanting to risk my current job. I am expecting them to give me an offer letter within next week. My question is can I tell the new employer company to wait until my background check and drugs test come back CLEAN before leaving my two weeks notice with my current employer? Now I'm sure I'll pass the background check with no issues but I was at a party where people smoking pot so that could effect my urine drug test results. If I can tell them to wait what is a proper excuse to tell them without looking weird and shady? PLEASE ADVISE!! This could be a life changing career move for me and I really need it.
ok, come on.. be honest, you're posting on an online forum. You won't fail a drug test for being around people that smoked.. that being said- there's nothing wrong with accepting an offer contingent on passing all background requirements. If i were in your situation, i would tell the prospective that you will not give notice until they give you the "all clear"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search