Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,787 times

Advertisements

As some of you all know, I've been a temp for over a year and I'm tired of being strung along. I finally have an interview with a university and it has great benefits. The job sounds good and pay is decent in my opinion. I make $16.50/HR right now, probably if I stick around another month or two it'll jump to $17-17.50.

The position I'm interviewing for is starting at $37,000 which is a tad more than what I'm making but I would like to request maybe $19-20/HR range but in truth, I would take the $37,000 anyway. They disclosed the salary to me, if they ask me what kind of pay I am looking for do I keep it vague and say "It's negotiable"? I know that this response has annoyed many. Jobs nowadays ask for your previous pay, so they know what I'm making right now. I'd like to make $40,000 to be honest. I'd be happy with a $18/HR although it'll only be $60 more in a pay check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:20 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
If it starts at $37k, then you should ask for the $40k you want. Never accept first offer - always negotiate. As long as you are professional and reasonable, you will be fine. Also, keep in mind that it's good to be able to give reasons that you deserve more than starting pay.

The only time I ever turned down someone who asked for more money was when they wanted about $20k more than what was offered. That told me that their expectations were not in line with the job posted or they just had poor judgment.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
When you are applying for a new job do you need to tell them your current salary?
I feel like it's not relevant.
What's relevant is what salary I will accept in a new job.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 PM

403 posts, read 473,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
When you are applying for a new job do you need to tell them your current salary?
I feel like it's not relevant.
What's relevant is what salary I will accept in a new job.
Yes current and previous so they can make a determination if you are too expensive.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Yes current and previous so they can make a determination if you are too expensive.
But like I said, they don't know until they ask what I am willing to accept in a new job.

I may be making 30K, so they may think I'm "not too expensive".
Little do they know I would not accept a new job making anything less than 40K. Any less than that, it's not worth it for me to make a move.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 PM

35,097 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
If it starts at $37k, then you should ask for the $40k you want. Never accept first offer - always negotiate. As long as you are professional and reasonable, you will be fine. Also, keep in mind that it's good to be able to give reasons that you deserve more than starting pay.

The only time I ever turned down someone who asked for more money was when they wanted about $20k more than what was offered. That told me that their expectations were not in line with the job posted or they just had poor judgment.

Good luck.
Agreed, unless you are truly satisfied with the first offer. I wouldn't antagonize someone on something you'd take anyway.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:08 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
If you want a reasonable amount and an employer rejects you out of hand because that amount plus a reasonable amount of negotiating room above it is "too costly" from their perspective, then I wonder if the opportunity is worth pursuing.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
If an interviewer asked me what salary I required, my response was:

"It is impossible for me answer without knowing the entire scope of the position and benefit package."

After I started working in HR I learned that many times the company wanted to pay a new employee only as much as they could, and if Candidate A wanted more then he/she was scratched off the list. Candidate B would be offered the position if they didn't state a higher amount (even if their qualifications were less than Candidate A).

If an interviewer asked me what my current salary was I would never give them an amount; I would just say that since I'd been at that post for "x" number of years the range of pay had increased.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
It depends on the stage of the hiring process. It sounds like this is still the interview stage so if that is the case, give them a range that starts at 37k and goes to maybe 45k. You're still in it because you are saying that 37 is acceptable but leave room for negotiation in case there is wiggle room.

Best of luck

Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
It doesn't hurt to ask and it's not like you are asking for something outrageously higher. You said it starts at 37K does that mean they had a range listed? Because many jobs do. If so, what was the range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
If an interviewer asked me what salary I required, my response was:

"It is impossible for me answer without knowing the entire scope of the position and benefit package."
This is a good answer depending on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search