Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 07:07 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I got this response today from an employer in Tennessee requesting a response as to why applied for a job in Tennessee, given that I'm in Indiana now. I'm not local, but am from the state, and why should an employer ask why did I apply?

Anyone else run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
sometimes people mass apply to jobs and truly apply to places nowhere near where they live when they have no intentions to move to that place. or they haven't really thought out moving plans before they start applying.

the employer wants to know that you actually plan to move to tennessee for the job. they may also want to know that you'll be able to start within a reasonable amount of time of being offered the job and aren't likely to back out at the last minute. and depending on what the job is, it may not be the kind of job that people often relocate for so they might wonder why you would do that.

when you're applying long distance, it's generally a good idea to address common concerns in advance in a cover letter if you are able to submit one.

this employer is actually doing you a bit of a favor by checking with you - a lot of places would just toss your resume because you're not local.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:11 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I got this response today from an employer in Tennessee requesting a response as to why applied for a job in Tennessee, given that I'm in Indiana now. I'm not local, but am from the state, and why should an employer ask why did I apply?

Anyone else run into this?
I relocated from Georgia to West Virginia and in the interview they only asked me if I had any reservations about relocating to West Virginia. They didn't say why are you applying to this job in WV. In your case since you are from Tennessee your response was very appropriate. You told them you are from Tennessee and you want to move back to your home state to be closer to your family.

In my case I had no choice but to relocate if I wanted a decent job in my profession. All the jobs I could find in Georgia were lousy temp jobs with no benefits and it was hard for me to make ends meet off of $17 per hour and no benefits. I accepted the first full time chemist position and could care less where the job was located.

I believe the reason employers ask questions like that from out of state candidates is because they don't want to pay for relocation expenses. My new job paid to move me to WV even though I was an entry level chemist with less than 1 year experience. I think if you tell them you don't need any help on relocation they will be more likely to hire you for the position.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Very common. When employers figure out they have wasted lots of time on people with no intention or means to relocate, they either just dump out of area resumes/applications or they pre-qualify the applicant's intent. You are lucky they are asking and not dumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search