Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times

Advertisements

For example, I've always wanted to work for Amazon, and I failed my interview for the last position I applied for. But they have hundreds of similar open positions, some requiring less skill than the one I applied for, and I don't understand why they don't then suggest another position and start me on the interview process there. Instead it's an automatic email rejection that states that I can apply again in 6 months. I thought these companies were "desperate" to fill their open positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 05:37 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
They have enough applicants for other positions that they don't need to try and find a spot for you.

At places I have worked, what you suggest is simply not possible. In order to interview for a position you have to apply for it; lesser positions are not a consolation prize, nor is it fair to people who have applied to that position. It is also not up to the hiring manager of the position you did not get to put you into the interview que of another hiring manager.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I think what the OP is saying is that they won't consider him/her even if they apply individually for that other position after not being hired for the previous one.
I have experienced this too and don't get it. It's like we're ''damaged goods''.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Maybe the company has determined that you are not a good fit for the company.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
They don't want people applying for every position that comes along (almost like spamming them) so they put that 6 month delay on it, that's all it is. Many of the better employers get flooded with applications and do everything thy can to reduce the numbers. Also, Joe from Dayton is right, managers do not refer people they reject to other managers.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:42 AM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
The Amazon hiring process is strange, I interviewed with them one time. They asked some really strange questions.

I wonder how anyone gets in the door there.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:27 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
The Amazon hiring process is strange, I interviewed with them one time. They asked some really strange questions.

I wonder how anyone gets in the door there.
"Strange" is subjective. Perhaps they feel more comfortable working with "strange" people. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the OP - I agree with what others have mentioned, Its simply a control to prevent people from continuously applying for all openings. As for referrals, it does happen. Albeit it's not a common practice. But hiring managers can pass resumes to each other from time to time.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
What I mean by strange, is that they ask you to go deep when answering questions on subjects that are not exactly related to your field.

So first I answered the question, then they said ok explain the whole process from start to finish in detail. At that point they could have asked me any question about anything in detail, like why is the sky blue. I would have had the same 30,000 foot answer.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
For the most part...if you are interviewing for one position it might as well be for any of the other openings. Very few companies really tailor their interview for that specific job and its more on how YOU response to the interview. Obviously some exceptions for skilled positions and upper level management , but if you don't fit as " media buyer level 2" the same will more or less apply for the position of "ad sales exect 1" ....

Not saying I agree, but first interviews are usually more about making that first impressions and seeing if will fit in at the company.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:15 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
What I mean by strange, is that they ask you to go deep when answering questions on subjects that are not exactly related to your field.

So first I answered the question, then they said ok explain the whole process from start to finish in detail. At that point they could have asked me any question about anything in detail, like why is the sky blue. I would have had the same 30,000 foot answer.
It's not uncommon for tech interviews (especially at the big companies) to ask these questions. It's not really about the answer, it's about your ability to problem solve. i.e. how you break down a problem, how you explain you came to arrive at your answer, what other possible solutions you might have investigated before arriving at the answer you did.

It might not seems relevant, but it is. Every implementation detail, choices have a reason in a complex development process. You need to be able to explain why you made the choices you did to come to the conclusion you did. Sure the design (and implementation) does what it is suppose to do, but did the choices you made to do it, have implications further down the line, with maintainability, will it scale, what about cost/tradeoffs in the long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search