Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 04:25 PM

427 posts, read 500,108 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in a restaurant. I am not going to last long. I am too slow and clumsy to be doing this kind of work. I have a BA. Could I get a job as a mail sorter or filing papers in a corporate office and climb the ladder?

I honestly have no real work experience to speak of -- a lot of jobs that last 1-3 months and other gigs I cannot put on a resume. What should I be looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
What is your degree in? What did you plan to do with it when you graduated? How long ago did you graduate?

A hiring manager will want to know why someone with a degree wants to make minimum wage in the mail room.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,073 times
And moving up from a mail room position is the kind of thing that happens when you work there while you're getting your degree, show them that you're smart and have great work ethic, and then apply for an entry level position within the company in the area of your new degree. Unless you have a great personality and feel that you can network well enough to shine from a mail room position, I don't recommend using this as a way to work your way up through an organization.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We have about 1,900 employees and only two mail messengers, both have been here many years and have never been promoted. They seem to be happy with their $16/hour. People that handle documents do their own filing, including those making over $100k, and if there is a backlog we would bring in a temp from an agency. The old "file clerk" positions are gone, mostly due to electronic storage and archiving. If you do find an office job requiring no experience, you will still be competing with people that do have experience. I would advise working with a temp agency such as Appleone or Kelly to gain experience. You might even be able to keep some restaurant job weekends/evenings and save some money.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:16 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I've read your other posts, and assuming these are for real, I'm going to be the hard ***** here. Looking at your other posts and the common theme, you would not last any longer in a mail room job, or any job, than you have in the past unless you change your attitude. From your words you've barely started this job and already want to quit. Statements like "slow" and "clumsy" are merely excuses to justify quitting.

Your degree in art history won't help. So first thing you need to do is stay with this job and work your fanny off until you find a better job. While doing that, go to local CC and learn a skill. Anything from office automation to diesel mechanic to HVAC. Doesn't matter, just learn a useful skill. Then use that skill to get a better job. But you must not quit this job because it is "too hard" because the most important skill you need is to learn how to go to work each day and do a job. Without that skill, education, degree, etc doesn't matter.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 AM

427 posts, read 500,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've read your other posts, and assuming these are for real, I'm going to be the hard ***** here. Looking at your other posts and the common theme, you would not last any longer in a mail room job, or any job, than you have in the past unless you change your attitude. From your words you've barely started this job and already want to quit. Statements like "slow" and "clumsy" are merely excuses to justify quitting.

Your degree in art history won't help. So first thing you need to do is stay with this job and work your fanny off until you find a better job. While doing that, go to local CC and learn a skill. Anything from office automation to diesel mechanic to HVAC. Doesn't matter, just learn a useful skill. Then use that skill to get a better job. But you must not quit this job because it is "too hard" because the most important skill you need is to learn how to go to work each day and do a job. Without that skill, education, degree, etc doesn't matter.
Ha, I agree. It's going better than I thought at the very beginning...
I have no real ambition and just want to make enough to afford my own apartment. There are no real careers I am excited about. The best I can do is good hours and good pay... I feel sad about not being successful but there is nothing about me that deserves success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search