Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 05:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from NY to FL and would like to line up a job down there. The issue is that I have a job here in NY and I'm not willing to give it up and just move because it pays pretty well. I'm waiting on something comparable (with the COL adjustment) before I move to FL.

What should I put on my resume? Right now, I have it saying "Relocating to FL" above my address. I actually made a couple different resumes with specific Florida cities I'm considering so I can segment my resume submissions.

Is this good enough or should I pretend I quit my job and already live down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Do you want to say what field you are in? Unless you have an in demand skill, expect a lot places to ignore you. If you lie about being in Florida, how do you intend to make short notice interviews?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
When we moved long distance, I made sure to reach out directly to HR or the hiring manager and let them know what's going on. You can also do this via a cover letter or right on your resume. You want to answer their questions so they don't toss your resume. They want to know why you're moving and what's going to keep you there. They also want to know whether you're going to ask them to pay for your relocation. So answer these questions in advance. I've found that saying you're moving due to having family in the area always sounds great. You're more likely to want to be near and stay near family, plus you'll have a built-in support system and backup in the area if you need them. If you're not expecting the company to pay for your relocation, say so. And it can't hurt to mention that you can be available for an in-person interview in X number of weeks, and hope to move around X date.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:10 PM

185 posts, read 134,150 times
Pretending that you live there will be a problem if you get a call to be interviewed the next day or within the next few days. Last minute flights can be expensive and will add up if you have to keep flying back & forth.

My long distance job search did not work for me. I tried pretending I was there (I used a relatives address) and that resulted in last minute airfare. I tried letting them know of my intention to relocate in a cover letter and that got me no where. Eventually I resigned from my job and picked a moving date.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:14 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I've done this twice with some success.

You need to put relocating at your own expense and have a story made up about why you want to be there. It doesn't even have to be real, just fairly believable.

I also think you need to get as many resumes out there as possible instead of spending an hour on one application. You'll have so many people throw your resume out due to not being local that volume is probably the better approach.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:18 PM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've done this twice with some success.

You need to put relocating at your own expense and have a story made up about why you want to be there. It doesn't even have to be real, just fairly believable.

I also think you need to get as many resumes out there as possible instead of spending an hour on one application. You'll have so many people throw your resume out due to not being local that volume is probably the better approach.
This.

In my cover letter, I use most of it to explain my intention to move on my own, why I want to move, name a few neighborhoods to let them know I know about the city and it's not just some random dream, then close out saying I hope my professional relationship is with your company while I begin my new journey in {insert city here}. At the top of my resume, I put my contact information, but instead of the address, I put in big bold letters "Relocating to XXX".

And lastly, it's about applying for the jobs. If you simple just put your resume out there and wait for someone to come to you, it won't happen.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 AM

455 posts, read 578,512 times
What I would do is take a vacation and spend 2 weeks in FL knocking out interviews.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
I just moved to Florida in September, from PA. I needed to have a job lined up before moving.

I sent out resumes and applied for jobs. Always in my cover letter I said I was not looking for relocation assistance and that we ARE coming to FL. I made it clear to a couple of interviewers that moving to Florida was a WHEN not an "IF".

And yes, the field you are in can make a difference. You will be competing with local candidates. Don't lie and say you are already here because of the issues already mentioned. But you have to be a bit more diligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search