Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times

Advertisements

People get fired all the time. The best way to recover is to understand what when wrong and don't let it shake your confidence. And rectify the situation. If you got fired for being late all the time, you know what you need to do. If you got fired for a disagreement with your boss, figure out how to avoid that situation. Fired for not hitting your sales quota? Get more training or pick a new path.

Your life doesn't end because you parted negatively. Deal with it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,576,422 times
"Damaged goods?" WOW! How insulting.

How about when the employer LIES about the job and you find out later?

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,326,547 times
The bottom line is that your responsibility is to build yourself up to a prospective employer and not tear yourself down in fron of them.
Be positive as that is what they are looking for.
An old dog can be taught new tricks.

Once you get the job, then you will need to keep it.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,149,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I put job ended on the application as a reason for leaving and was never asked about it probably because the way I presented myself overshadowed why I left the last job.
if you're going to do that you might as well say "it was a temporary job" which sounds a lot better IMO and if it really ended it was temporary. I've worked many temp jobs and always say that, and it never held me back.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM

403 posts, read 470,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
if you're going to do that you might as well say "it was a temporary job" which sounds a lot better IMO and if it really ended it was temporary. I've worked many temp jobs and always say that, and it never held me back.
well it became temporary because I was fired. lol

Old 01-13-2016, 01:52 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
BUT you can just say "they don't work there anymore" and that usually shuts the issue down. This is what I have done and in my case it happens to be true. I've been wrongfully terminated twice but at least so were my managers then RIGHTFULLY terminated. (Hmmm....wonder how they got new jobs.... )
This may not work, as employers are using resources like LinkedIn and others to get in touch with references who aren't at the company anymore. It seems 'unethical' to seek somebody who worked with you/above you when you didn't grant them the OK to do so at all, but eh.. both the candidate and employer are skirting lines here, so work with me.

I've used managers and supervisors as references even though they no longer work at the company. Still being employed there isn't relevant. They can ask what kind of person I was no matter where they're working. In one case, a manager I worked with retired and no longer employed. In another case, the manager, myself, and 1 of my coworkers were all laid off as a team.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,529,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I make the exact same argument for ex-convicts.

While I understand (but mostly disagree with) the other side of the argument that felons have done their time, turned their lives around, yada, yada, and that's fine for Burger King and Wal-Mart, but why would should a small or medium sized private business take the risk?
If an employer is the kind of person who believes in 2nd chances, why not take a chance on somebod if you get a good gut feeling about the person. If you're not sure, try 'em out on a few hours a week and see how it goes. It will be another jewel in your crown when you go on to the next life. Everybody does deserve a 2nd chance especially if they are really putting forth a good honest effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search