Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

It's extremely rude and unprofessional. I was called in for an interview with the Mayor's office. I had to call my recruiter to find out what happened. He told me they went with someone else. The time they took to interview me, you'd think they would email/call and say 'We thank you for your time interviewing with us, but we've gone with a more suitable candidate.'

No excuse at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:00 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
It goes both ways. I've been on both ends. It's just as unprofessional when a candidate does not call to tell the employer that they have decided to stop pursuing an opportunity at this company. Very unprofessional, indeed.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:03 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
Yes, I don't get upset if I've never spoke to them (only submitted) or not even too much after 1st interview, but after multiple it rude. I've been flown out for final interviews only to never hear a peep again. Really? How totally unprofessional and I think companies should realize that candidates talk to each online, etc. so they aren't doing their company any favor
And there are places like Glassdoor where others seeking a job there can find out about it easily.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:45 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Always follow up after two weeks.
This isn't always a guarantee. The place may simply not respond to any of your e-mails/calls which makes it even more frustrating.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:28 PM

38 posts, read 39,235 times
I never wasted the mental energy to care if employers called me back or not since I was able to determine after a certain about of time that I didn't get the job. Why worry about employers not calling back when you need to focus on what employers will call back?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
It is extremely rude for the candidate to not receive a response after an interview of the company's decision. Even candidates who did not make it to the interview process should receive some kind of email message at minimum acknowledging their submission and notifying them that they were not selected--the ATS programs that we use now allow for these emails to be sent with the push of a button so it is not a big effort.

For a candidate who came in for the in-person interview, the company needs to follow up with a phone call ideally. If they were not selected, at least thank them for applying and let them know they were not chosen instead of letting them wonder or even worse--having them wait so long they end up calling the employer to find out. If the employer simply has not made a decision as of yet and it has been over a week, then the candidate should be notified of this as well.

Companies that treat candidates poorly often do not get the candidates to apply to them again and there will come a time when they need that person's talent. Review sites such as Glassdoor have plenty of negative reviews about interview experiences with companies that never called the candidate back or rude interviewers--do companies really want other potential applicants to see that? Finally, the most important reason to not be a jerk towards candidates is that they are human beings and deserve to be treated as such. Any one of us could find ourselves in their situation and we would want to be treated with consideration and be communicated to--so we should accord them the same respect.

General rule--if you have not heard back from the company after 2 weeks, reach out to them and ask if they have made any decisions yet. Also, keep doing the job search and don't get down if you don't hear from a particular company--I've been there before and unfortunately there are some rude recruiters and companies out there. How the company treats its candidates often reflects how it treats its employees...so think about that. You will find the right company.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It is extremely rude for the candidate to not receive a response after an interview of the company's decision. Even candidates who did not make it to the interview process should receive some kind of email message at minimum acknowledging their submission and notifying them that they were not selected--the ATS programs that we use now allow for these emails to be sent with the push of a button so it is not a big effort.

For a candidate who came in for the in-person interview, the company needs to follow up with a phone call ideally. If they were not selected, at least thank them for applying and let them know they were not chosen instead of letting them wonder or even worse--having them wait so long they end up calling the employer to find out. If the employer simply has not made a decision as of yet and it has been over a week, then the candidate should be notified of this as well.

Companies that treat candidates poorly often do not get the candidates to apply to them again and there will come a time when they need that person's talent. Review sites such as Glassdoor have plenty of negative reviews about interview experiences with companies that never called the candidate back or rude interviewers--do companies really want other potential applicants to see that? Finally, the most important reason to not be a jerk towards candidates is that they are human beings and deserve to be treated as such. Any one of us could find ourselves in their situation and we would want to be treated with consideration and be communicated to--so we should accord them the same respect.

General rule--if you have not heard back from the company after 2 weeks, reach out to them and ask if they have made any decisions yet. Also, keep doing the job search and don't get down if you don't hear from a particular company--I've been there before and unfortunately there are some rude recruiters and companies out there. How the company treats its candidates often reflects how it treats its employees...so think about that. You will find the right company.
I think it's rude only if the candidate was interviewed twice or more.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:31 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Some companies will ignore any follow up e-mail/phone call from candidates they are no longer interested in. If you think it's rude not receiving any kind of follow up from the employer after your interview, wait until they ignore your own follow-ups to them!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Some companies will ignore any follow up e-mail/phone call from candidates they are no longer interested in. If you think it's rude not receiving any kind of follow up from the employer after your interview, wait until they ignore your own follow-ups to them!
If the interviewer doesn't offer their card then that is sign right there it's no need to follow up

Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
I have never once gotten someone's business card after an interview in my entire life. Whether I've been hired or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search