Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I'll agree to disagree. I'm not looking for "any" job. I take it seriously and don't want to waste my time or the companies time if its not the right fit. I'm professional like that. They obviously weren't.
Well then obviously you do not care if you are unemployed or not.. If you do not want to waste anyone's time then maybe you should just sit and watch Oprah and not fill out an applications or go on interviews....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM

96 posts, read 78,415 times
I definitely think it was shady what the hiring manager did. Asking for 24 hours to discuss it with your spouse is perfectly reasonable. If they were so hot to have you work for them, they would have given you 24 hours. Or, told you when you said that that 24 hours wasn't reasonable and they needed a firm decision from you by X time.

However, I was ready to turn down the job for you when you laid out the lack of benefits they offer. I get that working for small businesses doesn't offer the same benefits of working for a large company does. But those benefits sounded terrible. I think I would have told them right then that this job wasn't going to be a good fit for me.

I really do think they did you a favor.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM

41 posts, read 42,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Well then obviously you do not care if you are unemployed or not.. If you do not want to waste anyone's time then maybe you should just sit and watch Oprah and not fill out an applications or go on interviews....
lol really? Thats ridiculous and you know it.

I'm looking for the right fit. Not just any job and no I'm not desperate.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad1126 View Post
I definitely think it was shady what the hiring manager did. Asking for 24 hours to discuss it with your spouse is perfectly reasonable. If they were so hot to have you work for them, they would have given you 24 hours. Or, told you when you said that that 24 hours wasn't reasonable and they needed a firm decision from you by X time.

However, I was ready to turn down the job for you when you laid out the lack of benefits they offer. I get that working for small businesses doesn't offer the same benefits of working for a large company does. But those benefits sounded terrible. I think I would have told them right then that this job wasn't going to be a good fit for me.

I really do think they did you a favor.

Thank you for the helpful advice. You are right.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
He was hurt that you weren't excited about the job enough to jump at it. I understand that reaction. He doesn't want someone who isn't quite sure, or who may be unhappy with the job later on. He was caught off guard by your asking if you could think it over, so he just said yes w/o thinking. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Try to get a job with a bigger company that has some benefits. You need medical benefits or a retirement plan, at a minimum. A job without those things will hurt you financially big time, especially when you retire. Altho I understand that a small business can't afford those benefits.

It's probably for the best. You would've left that job as soon as you found something better, anyway, and he knew it.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:20 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That all by itself signals trouble! There is ACA (Obama Care) now. There is absolutely no reason why they can't offer medical benefits and while I'm not legal expert on this, I don't know if they are even allowed to do that. Even in temp or contract work, the employer provides a medical benefits plan. They might not pay more than required to reduce the cost of the plan, but they sure do provide it.
Only employers with at least 50 full-time equivalent employees are required to offer Obama Care.

OP - seems the biz is a small, in fact a very small enterprise with 7 resources, run "unprofessionally", more like a family run business where there aren't many policies and procedures, just things need to get done and whoever does whatever as long as it doesn't break down. They were in a rush to hire and they hired whoever said "yes" the first. Time to move on.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He was hurt that you weren't excited about the job enough to jump at it. I understand that reaction. He doesn't want someone who isn't quite sure, or who may be unhappy with the job later on. He was caught off guard by your asking if you could think it over, so he just said yes w/o thinking. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Try to get a job with a bigger company that has some benefits. You need medical benefits or a retirement plan, at a minimum. A job without those things will hurt you financially big time, especially when you retire. Altho I understand that a small business can't afford those benefits.

It's probably for the best. You would've left that job as soon as you found something better, anyway, and he knew it.
I did tell him I was excited about the offer and was very gracious. Yes I do hold it against him. Very rude and unprofessional in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That all by itself signals trouble! There is ACA (Obama Care) now. There is absolutely no reason why they can't offer medical benefits and while I'm not legal expert on this, I don't know if they are even allowed to do that. Even in temp or contract work, the employer provides a medical benefits plan. They might not pay more than required to reduce the cost of the plan, but they sure do provide it.

If this is a regular full-time job, I can't understand them not offering medical benefits. Furthermore, it makes no sense to not offer any PTO or vacation. It's a simple math calculation to do this, by paying a lower wage so the employee has those benefits. Sounds like a shady business.

Sorry things didn't work out for you, but that sounds like a horrible place to work. The mere fact they didn't honor a 24-hour agreement tells you. It the hiring manager had a problem with allowing you 24-hours, they could have said they need you to start right away. Not agree to it, and then go back on it.
I worked temp/contract for a couple of years. No, med benefits are not provided in my state, and they aren't required.

Small businesses do not have to provide med benefits under the ACA.

I got an offer of employment at a small business. Small businesses can't afford to provide med benefits (the cost of med benefits has increased a LOT under the ACA!). But what that small business did was offer me a flat amount of $ a month, for me to use to get Obamacare on my own (and presumably qualify for a subsidy, which I would have qualified for).

I didn't take that job, though, because I was semi-retired and not looking for a permanent job. I would've taken it, anyway, though, if I thought I would've liked it. But it was a real workhorse job, where I would have been performing two high-stress job functions, with no benefits to speak of and low pay. I knew I'd enjoy it at first but would end up being unhappy.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
that's potentially breach of an oral contract of employment but not worth litigating

Certainly not. In order to have an oral contract, you need an offer and an acceptance. There was not an acceptance, so there cannot be an obligation on the part of the potential employer.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Sorry - you needed to be prepared to negotiate at that moment. I can understand why you weren't but you need to think ahead what your salary requirements are and what you're willing to "give" on (PTO, flex time, etc.) to get the other stuff you want. Learn for the future! You snooze, you lose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search