Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:08 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times

Advertisements

This is 2016 and the rules have changed. There's no loyalty and many companies don't care about employees or potential employees because the days of 20-30 year employees are over. Just move on. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
I recommended looking for a position with benefits. Perhaps, you can find an administrative asst. position with a bank or hospital.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
I disagree but thank you for your perspective.
You still do not get it. And if you had accepted it, you would have the job. He made you a firm offer, and you turned him down. You wanted to think about it. You thought about it, and you would not accept it and wanted to try to negotiate it. You actually turned down his offer.

While you were thinking about it, he found someone else who wanted the job. He called you to tell you offer was withdrawn and the job was offered to someone else that wanted the job. And you have the nerve to blame him and call him unprofessional, and you would not have taken the job he offered you anyway, as you wanted to make some changes before you would consider the job.

He was not about to sit around and wait for you to make up your mind. He had a job he needed filling, and when another woman came along that wanted the job she got it.

Employers that need someone for a minimum job such as this, don't have time to sit around and wait for someone to make up their mind, and then want to negotiate more money. Not when there are a lot of people around that can fill their needs and want the job.

As a long time investment real estate broker, I know exactly the job they were hiring you for. It is not hard to find qualified people for the job. Either you are excited enough about the job and ready to accept it if your are offered the job, or you move on to someone else. You don't need to wait around while someone that is not ready to accept the job thinks about it. Very frankly your time is too valuable to not get it over with, and have a ready willing and able worker that can start the next day.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 PM

41 posts, read 42,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You still do not get it. And if you had accepted it, you would have the job. He made you a firm offer, and you turned him down. You wanted to think about it. You thought about it, and you would not accept it and wanted to try to negotiate it. You actually turned down his offer.

While you were thinking about it, he found someone else who wanted the job. He called you to tell you offer was withdrawn and the job was offered to someone else that wanted the job. And you have the nerve to blame him and call him unprofessional, and you would not have taken the job he offered you anyway, as you wanted to make some changes before you would consider the job.

He was not about to sit around and wait for you to make up your mind. He had a job he needed filling, and when another woman came along that wanted the job she got it.

Employers that need someone for a minimum job such as this, don't have time to sit around and wait for someone to make up their mind, and then want to negotiate more money. Not when there are a lot of people around that can fill their needs and want the job.

As a long time investment real estate broker, I know exactly the job they were hiring you for. It is not hard to find qualified people for the job. Either you are excited enough about the job and ready to accept it if your are offered the job, or you move on to someone else. You don't need to wait around while someone that is not ready to accept the job thinks about it. Very frankly your time is too valuable to not get it over with, and have a ready willing and able worker that can start the next day.
You do not get that I disagree. But thank you again

Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:

I think you do not get it. This lady can afford to be picky. She's not some 22 year old looking for her first gig. Her husband is the bread winner and she said that he is successful, presumable\y enough that if she remained unemployed, their quality of life would not suffer. She is lucky in that she does not HAVE to work. But she likes working or feeling productive or whatever. She's looking for a local admin asst. job, not to make partner in a top 4 law firm.

The guy was unprofessional, but this is common behavior for small family owned businesses for low level hourly wage jobs. The problem with these types of business is that there are no set policies. If you like the people, the atmosphere is pleasant, and it's close to home, that's why an employee will work there. As you said, the last person retired after 16 years, but you can bet she wasn't retiring on her 401K from this place but rather was also married and her husband had been the breadwinner.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
The guy was unprofessional, but this is common behavior for small family owned businesses for low level hourly wage jobs. The problem with these types of business is that there are no set policies. If you like the people, the atmosphere is pleasant, and it's close to home, that's why an employee will work there. As you said, the last person retired after 16 years, but you can bet she wasn't retiring on her 401K from this place but rather was also married and her husband had been the breadwinner.
Why is he unprofessional. The OP had turned down accepting the job, and said she needed to go home and think about it.

He had a job to fill, and there was another woman under consideration, that wanted the job. If he had waited around and held the job open and the OP came back and said I would only take the job for more money, he would have probably not hired her and maybe lost the opportunity to hire the one he hired.

It does not matter how large a company/corporation when someone says I will have to think about it, for all practical purposes they have turned down the job. The HM does not quit looking at other applicants waiting on the small chance the first applicant decides to take the job. They are going to keep looking, and hire someone.

When a company makes an offer, if you don't accept it (the OP did not and said let me think about it), then they are not going to sit around and wait for you unless it is for a specialized job difficult to find a person that fits your needs. Especially the type of job he had open. People that can do that job, are a dime a dozen as the say.

Facts:

1: She did not accept the offer.

2: She decided she would not accept the offer, but would only go to work if she could change the wages, etc.

3: He took her I will think about it as a probable no, and hired someone else. He had the courtesy to let her know the next morning, and not wait for her to call.

When any employer offers you a job, and you do not a accept it, but tell the HM/owner that you want to think about if for a while, you for all practical purposes have said I really do not want the job. This does not matter if you are a small business, or hiring for a major corporation. I have done both, and never would we just wait around for the prospective employee to go home and think about it for such a basic job that is easy to fill. That kind of employee rarely works out, and will not be there for the long run if you do hire them. So you save yourself problems, and hire someone that really wants the job.

He made a smart business decision.

She made a decision she would only take the job if she could get more money. She turned the job down, and then has the nerve to complain about it.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Why is he unprofessional. The OP had turned down accepting the job, and said she needed to go home and think about it.

He had a job to fill, and there was another woman under consideration, that wanted the job. If he had waited around and held the job open and the OP came back and said I would only take the job for more money, he would have probably not hired her and maybe lost the opportunity to hire the one he hired.

It does not matter how large a company/corporation when someone says I will have to think about it, for all practical purposes they have turned down the job. The HM does not quit looking at other applicants waiting on the small chance the first applicant decides to take the job. They are going to keep looking, and hire someone.

When a company makes an offer, if you don't accept it (the OP did not and said let me think about it), then they are not going to sit around and wait for you unless it is for a specialized job difficult to find a person that fits your needs. Especially the type of job he had open. People that can do that job, are a dime a dozen as the say.

Facts:

1: She did not accept the offer.

2: She decided she would not accept the offer, but would only go to work if she could change the wages, etc.

3: He took her I will think about it as a probable no, and hired someone else. He had the courtesy to let her know the next morning, and not wait for her to call.

When any employer offers you a job, and you do not a accept it, but tell the HM/owner that you want to think about if for a while, you for all practical purposes have said I really do not want the job. This does not matter if you are a small business, or hiring for a major corporation. I have done both, and never would we just wait around for the prospective employee to go home and think about it for such a basic job that is easy to fill. That kind of employee rarely works out, and will not be there for the long run if you do hire them. So you save yourself problems, and hire someone that really wants the job.

He made a smart business decision.

She made a decision she would only take the job if she could get more money. She turned the job down, and then has the nerve to complain about it.

Well actually he did wait for me to call.. but
Oldtimer we get how you feel but don't agree. No need to keep repeating yourself. You gave your thought and that's fine - Time to move on. I'm over it - you should be too. Not everyone will agree with you. Its ok.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think you do not get it. This lady can afford to be picky. She's not some 22 year old looking for her first gig. Her husband is the bread winner and she said that he is successful, presumable\y enough that if she remained unemployed, their quality of life would not suffer. She is lucky in that she does not HAVE to work. But she likes working or feeling productive or whatever. She's looking for a local admin asst. job, not to make partner in a top 4 law firm.

THIS. Yes thank you for understanding. For me I was upset about the fact that this guy didn't call me the day before or even the next day to tell me. He waited for me to call him. Its a red flag if an employer expects you to answer "right away" and I think I dodged a bullet.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I recommended looking for a position with benefits. Perhaps, you can find an administrative asst. position with a bank or hospital.
Thank you. I will look into that.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
From my experience its not a good sign when an employer expects you to give an answer right away. I guess its better I know now how this guy is.
If you have been "out of work for a few months" Whats to think about? Take the job, and if it doesn't pay enough, look for something else while you are working there. A low paying job, is better then no job when you have no income coming in(if you need the money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search