Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a number of phone interviews with recruiters lately and when they ask me how much money I am looking for, I give them a specific range. They seem appreciative of this as I think a lot of candidates will just say "negotiable" and won't name a range. Sometimes I can tell from the recruiter's tone that my number is too high, but they will never admit they can't afford me. I'll just get their stupid auto "rejection" e-mail in a few days that says I wasn't a "good fit" or they have "more qualified candidates".

Why can't they admit they can't afford you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 05:31 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Sometimes they will say this sometimes not. One of the ways that I have worked around this is ask the recruiter what the salary range is for the position. I always try to get them to name a number first; I never name the number first if I can help it. I'm one of the "negotiable" and "so what were YOU thinking about for a salary range for this role?" kind of people. I still do sometimes get employers tell me that my salary is out of their range, and this is okay.

"Fit" can mean pretty much anything, or nothing. It can mean the employer thought that your personality wouldn't mesh with the corporate culture/current team members' personalities, that your skills/experiences were not an exact fit for the role, or that maybe someone internal got the job. "Fit" is an all-around term that is thrown around pretty frequently. "More qualified" is also pretty generic, and while these are not helpful, HR often uses them because they keep us out of potential legal trouble.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I have been doing a number of phone interviews with recruiters lately and when they ask me how much money I am looking for, I give them a specific range. They seem appreciative of this as I think a lot of candidates will just say "negotiable" and won't name a range. Sometimes I can tell from the recruiter's tone that my number is too high, but they will never admit they can't afford me. I'll just get their stupid auto "rejection" e-mail in a few days that says I wasn't a "good fit" or they have "more qualified candidates".

Why can't they admit they can't afford you?
Because it would take too much effort on their part to have more than one form letter.

It isn't about affordability, it is about what they think they can get away with. If the labor pool from their prospective is much larger at the time, they will not come up in their numbers. There are also some companies which simply don't pay well.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
I understand the role of negotiation in the hiring process, but how much time and money is wasted by not even providing a baseline salary figure up front? I'm not even asking for a range because everyone will just ask for the top end.

Its pretty frustrating as a job seeker to apply for a job, get a phone interview and go to an in-person interview only to be told well into the process that the salary is much lower than would be acceptable. Of course, the job seeker isn't supposed to ask about salary, so sometimes it takes going through the process to find out for sure if the salary will be acceptable.

When I hire people, I do what I suggested above. I don't want to waste my time interviewing someone for a $15.00/hr job that has a minimum requirement of $18.00/hr. However, the wasted time that comes from the hidden salary seems to be very popular in the business world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search