Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

259 posts, read 522,767 times

Advertisements

Good professional answers, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:09 PM

179 posts, read 149,696 times
An honest answer
I felt I couldn't contribute to the growth of the company any longer
I need more growth potential
I'm looking for a new career path

If going from FT to PT, you need more time to devote to care of family

It depends on your situation. Give more details, you'll get better responses

Old 01-20-2016, 08:56 PM

403 posts, read 472,984 times
You want to take on a new challenge of what ever that field you are trying to get into because you feel your personality and the skills you gained from the previous job would make you a good fit for the position.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM

403 posts, read 472,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
Good professional answers, please.
Just remember to discuss what acquired skills you have that you would help you in the new job.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
I have found that playing a little hard to get is always helpful. I say something like "I am not actively looking for another job as I am pretty happy where I am currently, my company has been really great and I enjoy what I do. That being Said when I came accross the job you are hiring for, I was very intrigued and wanted to find out more because it is a step up from my current positions, is more aligned with my long terms career goals, is the type of position where I can see myself contributing the most value, etc".

Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I have found that playing a little hard to get is always helpful. I say something like "I am not actively looking for another job as I am pretty happy where I am currently, my company has been really great and I enjoy what I do. That being Said when I came accross the job you are hiring for, I was very intrigued and wanted to find out more because it is a step up from my current positions, is more aligned with my long terms career goals, is the type of position where I can see myself contributing the most value, etc".
I like this answer.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Good question and one I struggle with, because it's not easy to gracefully say, "Because there is no room to advance in my current company which is full of really nice people who have been completely emasculated by upper management, because I'm sick of doing my best and then being re-assigned in endless company reorganizations (along with everyone else), because I'd actually like to have a boss who remembers to give me performance reviews, because I'm results-oriented and feedback is important to me, etc etc" and all the other stuff that is totally true but sounds like negative whining.

Basically, my problem with my last job was 100% completely and totally not having faith in the company. It had nothing to do with the pay really, nor the co-workers, or the line of work. I just didn't want to spend any more time THERE.

Not an easy thing to convey, unfortunately.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Something like, "I've certainly learned a lot in my current position [it never hurts to show appreciation for what you already have] and I respect what the company is doing, I feel I have a lot more to contribute and learn in a new environment. I especially like XXXX opportunities that are available at your organization."

Not those exact words but I've used something like that in the past and it's always got approving nods and smiles.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Not enough hours, lack of advancement opportunity, just wasnt the right fit for you(be prepared to explain why). looking for a new career to learn new skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search