Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

What most people do not realize, is today there are services that can give you a complete history and run down on anyone in the country. They will know every job you have had in the last 20 years or so. The different addresses you have lived at. Your marital status, if you have been in jail, etc., and even about things you post on social media. Your credit score, etc. You can't hide anything today. When someone says they are leaving off some jobs, etc., on their resume the potential employer knows it, and that is a big reason someone does not get a job.

After the interview and you are being considered, they just go to the computer, and type in your name and address and within a short time they have a report emailed to them. And you will never know you have been checked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoke View Post
I just wanted to bring the power trippers out "we can ruin your life" hhahahaha. Actually what is factual is that many companies have policies limiting what information they will release about you. Because there have been successful lawsuits based on employers saying certain things about a former employee.

So, if they really want to, they can say whatever, but many companies are leery of lawsuits and tell there hr and managers not to say anymore than basic info. Policies such as this have become more prevalent as lawsuits have become more prevalent.

You are back peddling.

I can ask anything I want.

The former employer can say anything they want (some states do have various enumerated provisos), as long as it is true. Case law is very clear on this. I am not aware of any successful law suit against any employer who has complied with the law. If you are aware of one, please post a link

As a matter of policy, a lot of companies will not release anything other than position and dates of employment.

As a matter of policy -- or lack of policy -- some companies will tell you anything you want to know.

I have been involved in this for decades. When you post false information, I will call you out.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What most people do not realize, is today there are services that can give you a complete history and run down on anyone in the country. They will know every job you have had in the last 20 years or so. The different addresses you have lived at. Your marital status, if you have been in jail, etc., and even about things you post on social media. Your credit score, etc. You can't hide anything today. When someone says they are leaving off some jobs, etc., on their resume the potential employer knows it, and that is a big reason someone does not get a job.

After the interview and you are being considered, they just go to the computer, and type in your name and address and within a short time they have a report emailed to them. And you will never know you have been checked out.
Are you talking about sites like Beenverified, where you pay a fee and you have access to information about anyone you chose? I've always wondered what kind of information is out there for people to see. I found myself but didn't pay so all I saw was my name, age, cities lived in, and relatives. Kind of scary to see how anyone can just get that information for a small fee.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Often, they outsource it to third parties like HireRight.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 AM

403 posts, read 472,820 times
The only time previous employers were not contacted is when I got the job from knowing someone very important.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:02 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I am agreeing with part of your back peddling. I am calling you out on your completely false post, which is #14. When called out on your incorrect information, you changed your position. I certainly comprehend.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM

806 posts, read 876,858 times
Where I work , the hiring supervisor will " ask around " about the prospective employee if he can find somebody that knows him . He will also check his Facebook page for info .

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM

393 posts, read 359,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoke View Post
I just wanted to bring the power trippers out "we can ruin your life" hhahahaha. Actually what is factual is that many companies have policies limiting what information they will release about you. Because there have been successful lawsuits based on employers saying certain things about a former employee.

So, if they really want to, they can say whatever, but many companies are leery of lawsuits and tell there hr and managers not to say anymore than basic info. Policies such as this have become more prevalent as lawsuits have become more prevalent.
yes, I had a former supervisor get in trouble for personally referencing one of our past interns. They don't care if the reference is good or bad because if she accuses the firm of something they still pay to defend themselves. So when they put it in their written policy that you should shut the eff up, then you should probably shut the eff up and get over your little ego trip.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM

387 posts, read 554,788 times
I've been surprised and disturbed about how few people take the time to call references. I've been listed as a reference for people (whom I've liked and would support) but never once been called. I would have given them a good reference, but was surprised I was never called.

On that same note, at work sites we've had some really bad outcomes with employees turning out to have been dismissed from other positions for stealing/etc. and they even listed their old employers as references, but because they were never called, we never knew about it and the behavior was repeated. It's just crazy - it's a five minute phone call! When the references were called after to ask if they knew about the behavior, one of them said they had a lawsuit pending and hadn't been able to get ahold of the person, and asked if our office had the person's details!!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,646 times
I've used a reference checking service to find out what people will say before I listed them as references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search