Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

When a company posts a confidential posting online, is it OK to use the actual name of the company in your cover letter to them?

Sometimes they include a few hints like type of industry, town, and even a last name of contact. If I do some digging, I can eventually find the name of the place. However, when addressing them in a cover letter should I just pretend I don't know the company's name? I figured if they kept their name private then it is obviously for a reason, but sometimes I wonder if you come across as more 'attractive' per se after they see you've done some research on them.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
I would say if they post confidential then keep it confidential UNLESS you found their company name after researching and found the actual job posting on their website. Then it would be obvious that you could apply directly via the company.

Otherwise, it depends on how/where you are finding the company name and where the original ad was posted.

If it is a job that you found on craigslist where there are many scam ads posted then you can always email them and ask for their company name. Let them know that you prefer to know the actual company name, website and company email to verify the legitimacy of the ad prior to submitting your resume with personal info. I have had good results doing this in the past.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
If you know the company and know exactly who is hiring, either dig up their email or ping them on LinkedIn and express your interest this way. Byass the ****ty resume/application system. They want you to submit a resume so they can compare you to all the other candidates and pick the one that closely matches their requirements bu looking at their resume. If you soeak directly the hiring manager you have a chance to differentiate yourself and sell your skills.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce376 View Post
You apparently have nothing but stupid advice. Cancel your internet service

If you think you have better advice for the OP, then I suggest you post it instead of just trolling.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
As an employer in a niche industry that would attracts all sorts of weirdos and nut jobs if they had the company's name, we often recruit confidentially. However, if you figured out our name and instead of using Department 101 you wrote ABC Company in the cover letter, we won't hold it against you. We kind of expect people will do some form of research on a confidential company posting just to make sure it wasn't a scam. We would prefer the delivery information be as we posted it and not changed to our company's name, but anything personal inside is alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search