Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

So where I live they ate expecting 8 to 12 inches of snow. Do they cancel job interviews due to weather?

Also it slipped my mind forgot to print a updated resume. It's an internal job so they have everything on file. Think it's okay if I go in empty handed?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
My standard answer is that there is no 'usually' in job interviews. There can be as many answers as there are hiring managers.

But, with 8+ inches of snow, I think that there is a really, really good chance your interview will be cancelled.

Since it is an internal interview, it will be easy for you to tell. Is your company going to close for the snowfall? If so, then the interview is cancelled? Will your company expect employees to report to work? Might as well conduct the interview then.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,674,960 times
And I would not show up empty handed, were I in your shoes.
How much do you really want the job?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
if its not first thing in morning, call them? if they are open and roads are bad, tell them you will be late if they didnt already reschedule... if roads get that bad, they wont have a busy day anyways so they would let you come later. if they are closed... go in and do your current job if you are scheduled?

why would you not prepare a resume? that has nothing to do with weather....

Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 AM

Really don't want the job. Close colleague at work said it's in your best interest not to withdraw or cancel. If doing so it could affect future internal transfers.

Have old resumes without current job on it better than nothing. Slipped my mind at school over the weekend and schoolwork. Didn't realize till until it was night. Don't have a printer libraries/colleges are closed.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 AM

454 posts, read 495,229 times
I had an interview in NYC years ago and a 16"+ snowstorm happened the previous evening. The interview still happened. I think it depends how good the transportation/snow removal options are where you live.

Good luck with whatever it is you want to achieve.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Of the dozens and dozens of interviews I've been to over the years I've never once been asked for a hardcopy of my resume. Having said that, I'd at least come prepared with a folder or holding something that LOOKS like you have them with you as it shows disorganization not to have one.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
I had an interview in NYC years ago and a 16"+ snowstorm happened the previous evening. The interview still happened.
This is why I led by saying that there are as many answers as there are hiring managers.

NYC rarely shuts down for snow. The thought is that if the trains are running, you can get to work.

The snowier parts of the country, like upstate NY, Minnesota, etc might shut down, might not. It depends on the timing and how heavy the snow is. If it snows the previous evening and the road crews have enough time to get their work done, expect to go to the interview. If it starts snowing heavily at 4am, probably not. 8" of snow will shut down anything in the south for days.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
It depends on the part of the country you live in, whether they cancel interviews and tell employees not to come in. 8" in some places everyone panics and the city shuts down. In others it is business as usual. You can easily tell if it will cancel. If the business opens and operates as usual, the interview will hold. If on the other hand they tell employees not to come to work, it will cancel. As a current employee, you will know which way the company will go.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Well I went roads down were fine nightmare on the drive home. Brought my updated resumes, but they didn't need them. Question now is do I take the job. I don't want the job. It was a mix one interviewer said there was spots open the other when I questioned about it kind of scooted it under the rug.

Have to email the interviewer about the other job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search