Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 AM

170 posts, read 311,536 times

Advertisements

This past Friday, I had an interview with three different people (All potential co-workers or superiors) at a company. For the most part, I tried using different answers when their situation based questions overlapped, but I did use some of the same answers.

Fast forward to today, I had a phone interview (With HR). I pretty much did the same thing and used mostly new answers, but I did repeat one answer.

Tomorrow I have my final interview with the SVP of the department. Should I continue re-using some answers or should I come up with an entirely new set of answers for the situation based questions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Use the answer that is appropriate for the question. Changing answers for the same question means you do not know what you are doing.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
If they are asking for examples of "Tell me a time when" and want you to discuss a scenario I would try to come up with new examples. Otherwise what Joe said

Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 AM

170 posts, read 311,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If they are asking for examples of "Tell me a time when" and want you to discuss a scenario I would try to come up with new examples. Otherwise what Joe said
My question was specifically towards scenario based questions similar to "Tell me a time when".

I feel like if I give the same answers to now 5 people, they'll think I am scripted and cannot think on my feet.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosicman View Post
My question was specifically towards scenario based questions similar to "Tell me a time when".

I feel like if I give the same answers to now 5 people, they'll think I am scripted and cannot think on my feet.
Hiring managers are often scripted, too. I've only experienced a handful who haven't read questions to me right off of a sheet. Take that piece of paper away from them and we'll see how well they can think on their feet when asking questions.

I agree with JoefromDayton. It can be intimidating and/or frustrating giving the same answers repeatedly, but its best to be consistent with what you say. Always remain consistent and confident. You can also spice things up a bit. For example, you can give your answer and then twist it by saying what you would do should something similar or different happen in the future, based upon your past experience with the scenario.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,375 times
Quote:

If five people are asking you the same questions then it is they who are scripted and cannot think on their feet.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:05 PM

341 posts, read 1,231,964 times
Quote:
This past Friday, I had an interview with three different people (All potential co-workers or superiors) at a company. For the most part, I tried using different answers when their situation based questions overlapped, but I did use some of the same answers.

Fast forward to today, I had a phone interview (With HR). I pretty much did the same thing and used mostly new answers, but I did repeat one answer.

Tomorrow I have my final interview with the SVP of the department. Should I continue re-using some answers or should I come up with an entirely new set of answers for the situation based questions?

Thanks!
They will be asking you the same questions over and over which makes the interview a bit easier although tiresome! Just answer the same...why change it up? Just don't sound like you were rehearsing either.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Simply tell them, "as I told interviewer X, the best example of the time that I overcame this hurdle is..." Then go on to give the same story again.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:01 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Simply tell them, "as I told interviewer X, the best example of the time that I overcame this hurdle is..." Then go on to give the same story again.
^^This. I think when they ask the same questions they are looking for inconsistencies in your stories/answers which points to an integrity issue and could be a deal-breaker.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:17 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times
Expect that interviewers will compare notes so being consistent across all differents interviewers is a plus. Keep one or two stories max if they keep asking you the same questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search