Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position about a month ago a very large company. I have a friend that works in the department where the position is open and he put in a good word but he doesn't know what the status is. He did tell me they move slowly, which I understand as I currently work for a big company where it takes us 6-12 months to fill a position sometimes.

My dilemma is that I have applied for a few other positions that all involve relocation. I've already had interviews at others and expect to at least get one offer which should be good. But this other job is in a location that is the most desirable to me so I don't want to accept anything else unless I am not in consideration. I know the recruiter for this position's name and I found him on Linkedin but would it be appropriate at this stage to send him a message and ask where they are in the process because I may have other offers and I am really interested in that job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Well, you "Could" contact them. I don;t believe that there's any harm in it....

Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Nothing wrong with a follow up. However, in my experience if they were truly interested they would have already contacted you for a second interview or at least to update you on the status of your application.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath on this particular job.

The norm now days for most employers is....if they are not interested....they will not get back to you.

Sucks, but just the way things are these days.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
You originally were contact for this position by a recruiter?

That could mean anything.

Have you actually gone through interviews with the hiring company?

If not, then there is next to nothing going on.

The "recruiter" will tell you anything to string you along, because there is a long shot that he can get paid a commish for bringing you in. If he can find a slot for you ANYWHERE (which is likely his tactic--he is "shopping" you) then he might get paid.

That's the way it works.

Unless you have interviewed with the company at least a couple of times, all the recruiter is going to do for you is feed you some BS. Trust me, I have been on the other (management) side of these deals, and we don't tell recruiters squat about our plans. If we want you, we'll find you.

Bottom line, take it with a grain of salt anything the recruiter tells you. Ask your friend to sniff around.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I understand where you are coming from. However you have only applied for a job, not even an interview. You are getting way ahead of yourself. If you get an offer take it. I agree with usamathman, if they were interested they probably would have contacted you already. Good luck with the job search!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:34 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Well, I've had some phone interviews with other companies with hiring managers and feel like I will get at least one offer. But since they are all in different states and the job I started this thread about is in the most desirable relocation spot I finally reached out to the recruiter and he got back to me the same day to set up an initial phone interview. Of course I know it's not the same level of interest on their end as if he reached out to me directly but I figured I would be proactive before in case I get another offer before they even contact me (if they were going to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search