Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM

35 posts, read 54,505 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a 4 year degree from a Liberal Arts college in Upstate New York a many (25) years ago and have found that it has been absolutely no benefit to me whatsoever in the job market. I have worked in sales and customer service over the years and now work as a dispatcher in logistics that pays approx 28K per year.

I have often believed that vocational tech and 2 year colleges offer far more career options to students who want a real decent paying job at graduation by actual career preparation (hands on training that leads to a marketable skill) than a 4 year degree-well rounded education.

I see so many recent grads who are unemployed due to the fact that their 4 year degrees failed to give them the skills employers are looking for. Employers also cannot find qualified applicants for this very reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggin View Post
I graduated with a 4 year degree from a Liberal Arts college in Upstate New York a many (25) years ago and have found that it has been absolutely no benefit to me whatsoever in the job market. I have worked in sales and customer service over the years and now work as a dispatcher in logistics that pays approx 28K per year.

I have often believed that vocational tech and 2 year colleges offer far more career options to students who want a real decent paying job at graduation by actual career preparation (hands on training that leads to a marketable skill) than a 4 year degree-well rounded education.

I see so many recent grads who are unemployed due to the fact that their 4 year degrees failed to give them the skills employers are looking for. Employers also cannot find qualified applicants for this very reason...
I honestly believe many employers are opportunists looking for Purple Squirrels or cheap labor foreigners. That said, college, especially the longer you go, does seem to be increasingly a waste of time for your return on investment.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
It's much different today compared to 15+ years ago. That long ago people could get good jobs without needing a college degree. Then they got good experience, so they could switch jobs.

Today a young person often needs a college degree just to get a stepping stone white collar job. This is the same job that long ago didn't require a degree. But now you gotta have the degree just to get your foot in the door. Then you need the degree and experience to move up and also to switch companies.

Even for people that have been in the workforce for many years, those without college degrees qualify for fewer job openings versus a comparable person with the same experience with a degree. In some cases there are 3-6 times as many open positions for the person with the degree AND experience versus the person that only has the experience. This means even the middle aged people that don't have degrees - they often are stuck in a job because it's too hard to find another comparable job that doesn't require a degree. However, the person that has the degree can swap jobs a lot easier and also get decent pay increases.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:48 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
The biggest problem is more and more college grads, including some STEM, are becoming underemployed after graduating and while this is happening the cost of education is going UP, UP, UP.....

It is great for the people who land that career job in their field of study, but way too many aren't seeing any return at all and are stuck with huge student debt with no way to pay it off or BK it off the books.

Going to college is becoming more of a risk every year.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
If you want a job outside of fast food and retail, or the skilled trades you need a degree to get past the HR checklist. It's just how it is.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,445,163 times
Quote:

I was too young and immature to choose a career pathway at 18-23...I wound up getting a degree in something useless TO ME. In my mid 40's I found my niche and it has absolutely nothing to do with my education. I guess the education didn't hurt me, but I wish I was able to figure things out sooner rather than work in jobs that didn't fit my personality as well as the ones I have had lately.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Seems a lot of todays kids do no research on what job opportunities are available to them once their 3-4 year college degree has been attained so they end up realizing there are no jobs in their chosen field of study after graduation..Many would have been better off going to trade school rather than college for some meaningless degree.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-29-2016 at 05:20 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 AM

486 posts, read 992,872 times
Quote:
Wow. We could be twins. I graduated from a state college in Upstate NY with a B.A. degree in Fine Arts and a A.A.S. degree in Graphic arts - 25 years ago. I have worked in graphic arts/printing, customer service, office administration, database design and retail/food service. The most I have ever made was 31k a year. I just had an interview at a logistics company a week ago for an import coordinator. I'll never hear from them again. I am still unemployed - joy!

I have NEVER, EVER, EVER had an interviewer comment about my bachelor's degree. NEVER. Even when I apply to jobs that require a bachelor's degree, the interviewers NEVER ask me about my college education. When I was employed my bachelor's degree never gave me a heads up for promotions, I mainly worked with people who had only high school educations. Most of my supervisors did not have college degrees.

I understand my bachelor degree in Fine Arts is not highly sought after, but at least my obtaining any 4 year degree should show employers I have potential as I spent the time and money obtaining my education. Unfortunately, I don't think the world cares about "potential."

Quote:
If I was a youngster I would look at getting a trade, such as auto mechanic, electrician. Of course there is no guarantee that even trade jobs are hiring or have decent pay. Well paying jobs in America are few and far between (OK, maybe just in the rust belt where I live).

Quote:
Most jobs are not rocket science. Employers could find qualified applicants if they hired on "potential" and were willing to train. Most people can pick up on what is required for the job within a few weeks. Most jobs have the same tasks that are repeated each day. I have interviewed for 18 jobs in the past 6 months. I know, I could do ALL of those jobs with no problem. But for some reason the interviewers determined I was not the best "fit" for the jobs. I am qualified for all the jobs I apply to, and I still can't get a job offer. I am tired of the whole "employers can't find qualified applicants" lie.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
It's not that their liberal arts degrees "failed" to give them any marketable skills. It's just that employers expect fresh grads to already have 2 or 3 years of actual working experience --either in the form of part-time work, or internships. If you want to major in History, that's fine. But if you don't plan on teaching, or even if you do, you better have second and third options to fall back on just in case. This is why its always important to look at internships, even if its not directly related to your field, while in college. And working PT also helps a lot not only with financial situation, but giving you some more experience.

The other problem is that fresh grads are really poor at creating resumes and have trouble selling themselves in interviews. That is another subject in itself, though.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM

546 posts, read 764,766 times
have u ever heard of Civil Service jobs/tests?
U might be doing a job that doesnt require a degree which is a waste of time..and underpaid

U only need a 4 year degree in ANY major to qualify or take some exams.. jobs start at 40k-52k+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search