Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,891,828 times

Advertisements

My ex-wife is British and never went to college. I saw her resume one time and noted that it said she graduated from Oxford University. She figured nobody would ever check, and nobody ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,719,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I wouldn't lie, but I would embelish the hell out of every little mundane thing I Did at a job to make it seem more important than it was.
I'd do that as well but I wouldn't apply to jobs that I can't do or don't know how to do.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 PM

115 posts, read 97,972 times
I embellish every single word of my resume, but only if i know how to do it..

Funny this thread started, we fired a girl that was working for us ... she lasted one week. During the interview she was asked from a level 1 to 10, how proficient are you with Excel - she answered 9. Week one of the job, she bought her excel "how to" text book and looked up how to do a pivot table. She was unemployed within that first week.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM

449 posts, read 491,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
have you lied on a resume to get a job?
i was jobless for 2 years. and i lied. to get a job. they didn't even bother to check the references to work as Tech support contractor for CitiBank.

I am trying to transition careers IT software field different from low level tech support.
having my friend vouch for me as a supervisor.

at least you know how to the job. i see resume on Indeed, there no way so many people have 4-7 same positions in the same title just job hopping companies, leaving fortune 500 companies for no name companies. they lying. HR knows anyway resumes have lies and know people are desperate for jobs . at least my college degree is real.

Quote:
I am trying to transition careers IT software field different from low level tech support.
I don't think lying would even work for you. You are trying to transition into a very different and difficult field. When you get interviewed by Software Developers and managers they are going to ask very technical questions and probably give you a short test. You better also have a portfolio of your development work to showcase to employers at application time.

It's like trying to transition from a Medical Tech to a Doctor.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM

105 posts, read 104,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
I embellish every single word of my resume, but only if i know how to do it..

Funny this thread started, we fired a girl that was working for us ... she lasted one week. During the interview she was asked from a level 1 to 10, how proficient are you with Excel - she answered 9. Week one of the job, she bought her excel "how to" text book and looked up how to do a pivot table. She was unemployed within that first week.
Well her 1st mistake was buying a textbook. You Google that sh*t. I learned how to do pivot tables in a day, because I thought it would look snazzy when I did my cash outs for the quarter. I quickly forgot how to do it a week later, after I turned in my spreadsheets.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 AM

902 posts, read 743,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
I don't think lying would even work for you. You are trying to transition into a very different and difficult field. When you get interviewed by Software Developers and managers they are going to ask very technical questions and probably give you a short test. You better also have a portfolio of your development work to showcase to employers at application time.

It's like trying to transition from a Medical Tech to a Doctor.
No kidding programmer and developer interviews are notorious for being extremely difficult. Entire books and video series have been developed to pass technical interviews for software development. You're going to have to know data structures, algorithms, big O notation and you're probably going to have to go develop a program on the spot in the interview. Make sure you know how to use a whiteboard really well lol

Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 PM

449 posts, read 491,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
No kidding programmer and developer interviews are notorious for being extremely difficult. Entire books and video series have been developed to pass technical interviews for software development. You're going to have to know data structures, algorithms, big O notation and you're probably going to have to go develop a program on the spot in the interview. Make sure you know how to use a whiteboard really well lol

Yeah I think this guy clearly isn't that bright if he thinks he's going to BS his way into software development. It's a very technical position there's no BSing, either you know it or you don't. You also have to be able to demonstrate those skills in many job interviews.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:20 AM

429 posts, read 388,926 times
some things you can't lie your way through. Anything involving a lot of math, science, technology like Computer programming, engineering, medicine, architecture. You can lie when it comes to clerical jobs or customer service/sales; sure you can teach yourself Excel or Word or some other common, simple software. Software like CAD and AUTOCAD you just can't lie about knowing. The whole purpose of lying a little bit on the resume is NOT TO GET CAUGHT. If you get caught it's pointless. You can embellish details like job titles, salaries and job duties/ Be prepared to refuse if the prospective employer asks for W2s or paystubs. Some people who need references sometimes ask "friends" to lie for them, or just burn a phone and pretend to be someone else. In desperate times, we do desperate things. But faking knowledge of software development? That's not going to work. They'll realize you're lying immediately. They'll test you to see if you can actually do the job.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:28 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Everyone ends up lying at the interview anyways.

Who goes to an intereview and says:
I am leaving more current job for more moeny or my boss is an @hole
My greatest weakness is I distrust authority and am always late
Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker: We swore at each other and gave each other death stares.
I want to work here because you pay well and are close to where I live.

Interviews and job hunting are all about BS. People are rarely hired and judged on their merits and qualifications nor even the value they can add to the company. Therefore, is no reason to follow the rules of an unfair and dysfunctional game.
I agree with this completely. Generally people only present their best in an interview. They aren't going to say that they walk in 20 minutes late every day, play on the internet and steal company toilet paper.
Interviews are basically about who can BS the best.

That being said, I've never lied on my resume, but I have fibbed some in interviews. Mostly just embellishments or changing a true story somewhat to fit what I needed. I've never out and out lied, like saying I'm proficient with X program when I've never even seen it. I'm not going to say anything that will bite me in the butt later, but I will make myself sound appealing to get the job.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,819,481 times
Wow, I guess I am super naïve. I have never lied on my resume and I am taken aback by how many have admitted to it here or have supported the idea.

I agree that everyone lies in life, but telling someone they look good in a dress or telling someone you are sick to get out of attending an event, is way different (at least to me) than lying about your work experience on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search