Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Congratulations Sam8231! Remember us while you are working.

High Altitude, I was shocked when I read in forums and articles that my country, Spain, has exactly the same problems as US. Perhaps the only differences I found are mainly: 1) the unemployment rate is about 5 times bigger in Spain than US. 2) Networking is not only an alternative but also a must have if you want to land a job (we used to say: you need a Godfather to land a job). Some similarities: 1) degrees devaluated due to the high demand of students, 2) people even with Masters or PhD working as supermarket cashier or similar roles, 3) you put your best effort to apply for a job but never hear again about the employer (no call back), 4) entry level jobs with unrealistic skills and poorly paid, 5) call center jobs previously were filled by immigrants without any qualification at all now are filled even with telecommunications engineers, 6) Evictions of jobless people have increased since 2008 even with suicides (the worst face of our crisis).

In my case... I have gaps in my resume but It was inevitable, most people in my country has gaps or really bad jobs. I wake up very early every day to start looking for jobs at 7.00 a.m. worldwide. I should keep on looking for jobs right now but I have to stop for a while because I suddenly felt really sad and I broke in tears while I was applying in Canada and UK as I just remember. I am sorry I can´t stop that, sometimes I feel really depressed, I am a really hard worker and this is the first time in my life I am feeling I am going down... sorry can´t keep on writing...
Hi Jorge,

Sorry to hear about what you're going through!

Keep in mind that what USA folks post on the CD forum is largely crocodile tears. This means that it is greatly exaggerated. There are a lot of jobs in the US and while it is hard to get a job it is not as impossible as some make it seem. Many people expect that they will ne handed a job because of their degree or experience. Yes, employers are very picky and risk-averse, probably for good reasons or not.

Keep trying, keep competing and do not give into depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,183,800 times
Quote:
Congratulations Sam8231! Remember us while you are working.

High Altitude, I was shocked when I read in forums and articles that my country, Spain, has exactly the same problems as US. Perhaps the only differences I found are mainly: 1) the unemployment rate is about 5 times bigger in Spain than US. 2) Networking is not only an alternative but also a must have if you want to land a job (we used to say: you need a Godfather to land a job). Some similarities: 1) degrees devaluated due to the high demand of students, 2) people even with Masters or PhD working as supermarket cashier or similar roles, 3) you put your best effort to apply for a job but never hear again about the employer (no call back), 4) entry level jobs with unrealistic skills and poorly paid, 5) call center jobs previously were filled by immigrants without any qualification at all now are filled even with telecommunications engineers, 6) Evictions of jobless people have increased since 2008 even with suicides (the worst face of our crisis).

In my case... I have gaps in my resume but It was inevitable, most people in my country has gaps or really bad jobs. I wake up very early every day to start looking for jobs at 7.00 a.m. worldwide. I should keep on looking for jobs right now but I have to stop for a while because I suddenly felt really sad and I broke in tears while I was applying in Canada and UK as I just remember. I am sorry I can´t stop that, sometimes I feel really depressed, I am a really hard worker and this is the first time in my life I am feeling I am going down... sorry can´t keep on writing...
We all get depressed at times when we can't find work for an extended time. Take a break, regroup and then go back after it.

I don't know if you are aware, but in the USA we usually don't use CVs, but resumes. A CV in the United States is mostly only used for jobs in education. If you are using your CV to apply for positions in the USA, most people will find it much too long, being a resume is only 1 to maybe 2 pages in length.

The only reason I bring this up is because I worked with an engineer from Spain and when he applied he used a CV. Wasn't a big deal for us, at the time companies weren't nearly as picky, but times have changed since then.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM

853 posts, read 647,534 times
Thank you for your support. I don´t know what happened to me today but I burst into tears. This job search is starting hurting me badly. Sometimes I feel I am lazy because I am not working and this guilty feeling is starting killing me. I would say that more than depression, sometimes I suffer from anxiety attacks. I can´t express with my words the reason of my anxiety better than this quotation: "You may delay, but time will not", by Benjamin Franklin.

As for the topic of CV vs resume: I know It and I do have a resume but It doesn´t matter right now. In the US I am requested to have a GPA of 3.0 or greater. We do not have GPA in Spain, we have an scale from 1 to 10. I have 7.42 in that scale, so if you translate it to your system, I am below 3.0. I don´t know how many people in Spain have above 3.0 but it´s insanely high in our system, not to mention in engineerings it´s almost impossible. So, sum the fact I am not a US citizen + GPA<3.0 + gaps in my resume = never have a chance in the US. I think it´s a great country, with great diversity and I may adapt eassily to your lifestyle but I see that currently the privilege of work there is reserved to those chinese and indian genius with a GPA above 3.99, BS + Ms + PhD, >10 years of experience, 15 languages spoken and only 30 years old. Well, I only need 4 lifes to get that.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times
Quote:
Thank you for your support. I don´t know what happened to me today but I burst into tears. This job search is starting hurting me badly. Sometimes I feel I am lazy because I am not working and this guilty feeling is starting killing me. I would say that more than depression, sometimes I suffer from anxiety attacks. I can´t express with my words the reason of my anxiety better than this quotation: "You may delay, but time will not", by Benjamin Franklin.

As for the topic of CV vs resume: I know It and I do have a resume but It doesn´t matter right now. In the US I am requested to have a GPA of 3.0 or greater. We do not have GPA in Spain, we have an scale from 1 to 10. I have 7.42 in that scale, so if you translate it to your system, I am below 3.0. I don´t know how many people in Spain have above 3.0 but it´s insanely high in our system, not to mention in engineerings it´s almost impossible. So, sum the fact I am not a US citizen + GPA<3.0 + gaps in my resume = never have a chance in the US. I think it´s a great country, with great diversity and I may adapt eassily to your lifestyle but I see that currently the privilege of work there is reserved to those chinese and indian genius with a GPA above 3.99, BS + Ms + PhD, >10 years of experience, 15 languages spoken and only 30 years old. Well, I only need 4 lifes to get that.
Ok now you want us to pity you? Cummon man

Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Ok now you want us to pity you? Cummon man
Of course not. It´s not my intention. I was only explaining why I realized it´s useless in my case giving a try in the US, please do not be offended. These are your rules so I do not meet the criteria and that´s all, I am now trying hard in another places. In my opinion, the best country to work is where you have the best opportunity and I am trying to find that place.

Again, I do not want you to pity. Everything I said is true, I am in a really bad situation and I would love to work in my country but sadly I can´t and this is not because the salaries but for the insane unemployment rate. It cost me to leave my country and now I am overseas and unemployed, trying all the strategies I can to land a job in one of the several countries I am applying for.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:12 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Not only are employers looking for the purple squirrel apparently often times they already have someone internally. Even worse they may not actually have a job in the first place. My coach told me they put up the now hiring signs as a precaution because they know people will not keep that job. Unless it's a job that would normally be desirable then maybe they wouldn't but entry level...nah.

Times in an interview is not an indication either. I had an interview that was at least a half hour..he even seemed really interested but still I did not get the job. Unfortunately no matter how good I seem to have done it doesn't mean anything. I had another interview where the guy said he'd put in a good word for me and appeared to like me even more than the other interviewer but I still didn't get it. Many employers won't even call you back to tell you you didn't get the job though they say they will. That one did but most of the interviewers I had didn't.
My coach also said that if you ask if they had any concerns and they say they don't they could be lying.

I wish I had advice though you did say you wanted to hear from people who have had no success. I'm ready to give up..end of March that's probly what I will have to do. I'm not saying you should once you face rejection. You definitely shouldn't. It's just that I'm tired of trying to act NT. Even though there is a law I know my mental issues are always going to hold me back.
I also care too much about it. I'm the type of person that places all value of myself in employment..if I don't make enough money I am worth nothing to myself so I'm starting to think the struggle is not worth it for me personally. I've also been unemployed for too long. Apply for anything you can tolerate/handle and don't delay or else you'll be looking for a job you love for a long time I think and end up discouraged by the whole process like me (although most likely not as bad but still bad). I made that mistake and now I am paying for it.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 AM

370 posts, read 504,373 times
I once was unemployed for 7 months (not long by some accounts) but I am single and cannot be unemployed without the possibility of living in my car. I now look back and see the "hiccups" I had while that job search was dry.
First, I was picky I only wanted an office job and one with the standard hours. Second, I wanted one in just an office.

Anyway, my phone would go a month without ringing and I went on one job interview in July that was the biggest waste of time...then nothing until the end of September. I was lucky b/c I was getting unemployment but not much money to live on and time was running out. I was now down to my last unemployment check when I saw an ad on Craigslist. It was for a law firm that was full-time with benefits. I cannot tell you how many nights I woke up in sweats wondering if I would have to live in my car. Scary. I still remember going on the interview and walking away knowing I got it.

I now look back on that job search and hit my head in frustration. I completely handed that wrong. I worked at the law firm for a solid 13 months until the burn out caught up to me and whispers how they were closing that office soon (they did) I decided to get " a job for the meantime" something that would get me out of my current job and hold me over until the right job comes along. I got a job at the museum (only part-time-very part-time), left the law firm and still continued my job search. It turned out I loved working at the museum and was actually pretty good at customer service. I did notice the hours went by quicker than just sitting bored at a desk...

So don't be weary of taking a job you might not until you land that dream job...I am big at always having a job no matter what. I look back at that 7 month gap and it still brings fear to me. I was worried about my two animals the most....just remember, it's okay to take a job "for-the-meantime." You might pick up a new skill or learn a new trade. It's better to have anything come in while you search.

Good luck out there

Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Firstly, I want to apologize for my behavior, Staggerlee666. Not all is bad, at least I have a wife with PhD working as researcher professor and a family that can support me.

Secondly, I have read every word you wrote twice, jenniferashley, thanks a lot for sharing your own story. Your story moved me. I have to admit you are one of the bravest I have ever heard and I am acting as a coward, I admit that.

I don´t feel good because I have 1 year jobless and I want to land a job soon as possible, I do not want to depend on others. jenniferashley, thanks for your advice, perhaps one of my mistakes is that I wanted to land a job related with my experience and degree and maybe it´s not a good moment to go through this job market as it´s strongly competitive. I want to put on practice your idea, to look for alternatives while I am able to land a "dreamjob". The only question I have is, How to land a job in other business if I do not have any relevant experience in those fields?

By the way, you encouraged me to continue fighting for my future. Thanks, you inspired me.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:19 PM

370 posts, read 504,373 times
Quote:
Firstly, I want to apologize for my behavior, Staggerlee666. Not all is bad, at least I have a wife with PhD working as researcher professor and a family that can support me.

Secondly, I have read every word you wrote twice, jenniferashley, thanks a lot for sharing your own story. Your story moved me. I have to admit you are one of the bravest I have ever heard and I am acting as a coward, I admit that.

I don´t feel good because I have 1 year jobless and I want to land a job soon as possible, I do not want to depend on others. jenniferashley, thanks for your advice, perhaps one of my mistakes is that I wanted to land a job related with my experience and degree and maybe it´s not a good moment to go through this job market as it´s strongly competitive. I want to put on practice your idea, to look for alternatives while I am able to land a "dreamjob". The only question I have is, How to land a job in other business if I do not have any relevant experience in those fields?

By the way, you encouraged me to continue fighting for my future. Thanks, you inspired me.
You got it!! For me, I just applied at the museum with no history of working at a museum. It was hard to all of a sudden to manage documents for a law firm then to move to a job where I'm wiping down shelves..but I met some amazing people and saw the inside of how a museum ran.
What I did is I drove around my city with a pad of paper and wrote down where I could apply. I decided I wasn't going to be picky, I didn't care. You see the city where I live businesses are always selling or changing management or closing...there is no "15 year employment here" it is year-by-year basis so I need to always be on my toes..you asked how do you start? Just apply. You will be surprised how employer's are willing to take a chance..also one thing..a "in-the-meantime job" I would suggest part-time-that way it gives you the time to land your dream job!!! That's how I did it at the museum!

Another recommendation for you is to volunteer for an organization...companies LOVE that...I volunteered for our local shelter and walked dogs...I think that was the selling point to my current employer...but I have also volunteered for non-profit companies doing some data stuff....it gets you out and meeting people.

It's hard out there...but just remember...take a "in-the-meantime job" it gets you out and feeling almost human again (I know) volunteer once a week and put that on your resume...being jobless doesn't mean you can't still add to your resume, you can!!

Remember the job market has changed...so we need too. You will be fine -you put your game face on and face the world!!

Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
I've been applying since October. I graduated in Dec. and am still looking. I know my situation isn't really THAT bad, but it's hard to push on applying. I'm so sick of it. I have pretty good savings, am living with my parents, and am doing landscaping now during the week. I sure as hell don't want to continue landscaping (far too hard of work for being the bottom rung of the construction).

My big issue is that I feel if I mess up this first job, if I go into an industry I'm really not interested in, I'm stuck. Around my area it's all customer service and wealth management, which is where most of my college and other acquaintances ended up and where my connections would be.

It would feel as though I'd throw my hard work at getting good grades and a Stats minor and a decently good internship at Xcel Energy out the window. I'd be in a mediocre field despite whatever I did in the past. If I mess this up, I mess up, in the future, it will be my experience, not my education, that defines me.

My plan is to push till the end of May. If I still don't have anything by then, I'll just take what I get. I have had 4 phone interviews and one 3 hour in person interview, so I guess my results haven't been terrible, but I still haven't got any offers.

Also is it worth applying to internships even though you've graduated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search