Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 PM

429 posts, read 390,584 times

Advertisements

I get it. But I'm not in Spain, I don't speak 4 languages. And I definitely do NOT believe in "honesty of politicians and administrators." I'm in the good old U.S., in New York City.Feel free to pass me whatever you're smoking 'cos nobody around here believes in politicians. You lost me as soon as you said "I believe in the honesty...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
I get it. But I'm not in Spain, I don't speak 4 languages. And I definitely do NOT believe in "honesty of politicians and administrators." I'm in the good old U.S., in New York City.Feel free to pass me whatever you're smoking 'cos nobody around here believes in politicians. You lost me as soon as you said "I believe in the honesty...."

So, like your other thread, you are just here to vent and give excuses. OK. Carry on.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
oh wait hold on: so having a reputation for telling the truth is going to pay my rent and put food on my table? And telling the truth and not getting hired as the obvious result is perfectly ok - as it leaves me unemployed and probably eventually homeless on food stamps. Nice.
Personally I don't care what you do, you are the one who has to live with your lies. Just be sure to write them all down so you can keep track of them in the long term.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I don't care what you do, you are the one who has to live with your lies. Just be sure to write them all down so you can keep track of them in the long term.
Interesting point. If someone lies to get a job, he has to deal with that lie/s during his entire career. It should not be easy at all...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 AM

I was asking a question. I haven't committed any crimes or fraud. I didn't come on here to be put on trial because I'm asking a question. I was advised by several people I know very well that yes, in my situation with at least a 2 year gap, I definitely should lie and fake some stuff. Employers prefer to hire people already employed. Why am I being stoned here for asking? I'm not responding to negative nasty comments. I will respond to those people who may disagree with me, and who logically come up with their arguments. I'm not here insulting people who I disagree with, so please try to show the same respect. I'm not asking for a million dollars now.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
I definitely should lie and fake some stuff. Employers prefer to hire people already employed. Why am I being stoned here for asking? I'm not responding to negative nasty comments. I will respond to those people who may disagree with me, and who logically come up with their arguments. I'm not here insulting people who I disagree with, so please try to show the same respect. I'm not asking for a million dollars now.

You were given good advice, which was to be honest. If you want to listen to an ex-con's advice to lie & cheat, then go for it. You've obviously made up your mind.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 AM

"I was advised by several people I know very well that yes, in my situation with at least a 2 year gap, I definitely should lie and fake some stuff." You misquoted me. Don't put words in my mouth I didn't say. There's a difference between saying "I was advised to definitely lie and fake stuff" and "I definitely should lie" . Read please ok?
How do you know I made up my mind? Are you a mind reader? Did I say "well I"m doing it." R.E.A.D.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM

96 posts, read 78,375 times
Why don't you try to get a job that won't care you've been unemployed for a few years? Like cashier, retail, etc. Then, once you have that job, you can start applying to where you really want to work and you won't have such a gap? And I agree with others that what you've been doing is work. Put it on your resume. Call it self employment.

I'm a hiring manager, and I can tell you that those with large employment gaps aren't getting kicked out of the system for my jobs. I'm reviewing resumes right now where people have 2 and 3 year gaps. The ones that submitted a cover letter explaining that gap are getting consideration. So maybe try that too.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad1126 View Post
Why don't you try to get a job that won't care you've been unemployed for a few years? Like cashier, retail, etc. Then, once you have that job, you can start applying to where you really want to work and you won't have such a gap? And I agree with others that what you've been doing is work. Put it on your resume. Call it self employment.

I'm a hiring manager, and I can tell you that those with large employment gaps aren't getting kicked out of the system for my jobs. I'm reviewing resumes right now where people have 2 and 3 year gaps. The ones that submitted a cover letter explaining that gap are getting consideration. So maybe try that too.
I don't have any cashier, retail, etc. type experience. Nor do I wish to acquire any as it would be a major kiss of death for my resume. I can't live on minimum wage as it's a single person household. I have a Bachelors of Science from a good private college, I'm a former real estate paralegal and executive assistant. I also had a real estate license for 2 years as a realtor. My total white collar experience is at least 15 yrs. - Cashier, retail, etc.? Just can't do that. Jobs that require long hours standing, lifting boxes, moving heavy stuff, also can't do. I have a herniated disc lower back left side.

Of course, applying to actual people and departments and submitting good cover letters have worked for me most of the time before. Applying through Taleo, Brassring, etc. NOPE>

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
Quote:
I don't have any cashier, retail, etc. type experience. Nor do I wish to acquire any as it would be a major kiss of death for my resume. I can't live on minimum wage as it's a single person household. I have a Bachelors of Science from a good private college, I'm a former real estate paralegal and executive assistant. I also had a real estate license for 2 years as a realtor. My total white collar experience is at least 15 yrs. - Cashier, retail, etc.? Just can't do that. Jobs that require long hours standing, lifting boxes, moving heavy stuff, also can't do. I have a herniated disc lower back left side.

Of course, applying to actual people and departments and submitting good cover letters have worked for me most of the time before. Applying through Taleo, Brassring, etc. NOPE>
Have you tried a temp service just to get something on your resume? If you do your research you can find who the hiring managers are and send them your resume and cover letter. The worst they can do it throw it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search