Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

I have a phone interview next week and have a question about my past experience - I mean how much detail I should go into. I have solid work experience dating back to 1984. I worked for the same company until 2002. They were good positions that showed growth at a major (and very well respected) company in my field. However, I took those positions and that company off of my resume and submitted a resume that listed my work experience from 2003 until now (I've heard that you shouldn't go too far back when listing your work experience on a resume). Anyway, my work experience from 2003 until now is all good too but I'm just wondering if I should mention my previous work experience during my phone interview or if I should keep quiet about it. It almost seems crazy not to mention it; I'm certainly proud of it but on the other hand, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either by mentioning "old" stuff. I'm already a bit over-qualified for this potential position so even though this older experience is admirable, I have a feeling mentioning it may work against me. I'd greatly appreciate some opinions. Should I mention my 1984-2002 work history or keep my mouth shut about it and act like I've only been working since 2003? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Only mention relevant experience.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Only mention relevant experience.
Thanks for your response. It would definitely be relevant; it's similar work in the same field. My concern is that I'll be perceived as an older worker (which I am now, lol) and over-qualified. I'm conflicted about it; part of me is proud of those 18 years but the other part of me says if I'll be subjecting myself to age discrimination if I mention them.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Answer the questions they ask. The older stuff may be relevant, or it may not be. Generally speaking, what you did 15 years ago is not that important to me (resting on your laurels, and all of that).

Old 03-20-2016, 03:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Thanks for your response. It would definitely be relevant; it's similar work in the same field. My concern is that I'll be perceived as an older worker (which I am now, lol) and over-qualified. I'm conflicted about it; part of me is proud of those 18 years but the other part of me says if I'll be subjecting myself to age discrimination if I mention them.
Will it show career stagnation or can you show continued growth (i.e. titles)?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Will it show career stagnation or can you show continued growth (i.e. titles)?
It would show continued growth but it would also make me appear over-qualified. Of course, it would also help to give away my age. I think I'll do my best to avoid talking about those years.

I wonder if employers feel deceived if they hire someone thinking they've been in the workforce for about 15 years but later come to find out that number is really 30 years.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
It would show continued growth but it would also make me appear over-qualified. Of course, it would also help to give away my age. I think I'll do my best to avoid talking about those years.

I wonder if employers feel deceived if they hire someone thinking they've been in the workforce for about 15 years but later come to find out that number is really 30 years.
Don't you think that people will be able to figure out how much experience you have when they meet you? Most 50-55 year olds with 30 years of experience look a bit different from 35 year olds with 15 years.

More practically, experience from more than 15 years ago is not terribly relevant to most employers. In my resume I include it because it shows continual employment and steady work progression, but I only include job title, company, and dates. No accomplishments or duties.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't you think that people will be able to figure out how much experience you have when they meet you? Most 50-55 year olds with 30 years of experience look a bit different from 35 year olds with 15 years.

More practically, experience from more than 15 years ago is not terribly relevant to most employers. In my resume I include it because it shows continual employment and steady work progression, but I only include job title, company, and dates. No accomplishments or duties.
This is why I'm wondering what the right thing to do is. Pretty much everything I read says to go back about 10 years on your resume. That's fine; I did that. However, no one says how to handle it after that. A phone interview isn't really a problem since there's no face to face contact. But what about an in person interview? What if everything goes fine on the phone and I only talk about what's on my resume but then I have an in person interview and it becomes obvious I've been working much longer?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Resume advice is wrong 1/2 the time. The trick is knowing which half, as it is circumstance dependant.

In my case 10 years ago my title was associate director. It's pretty obvious from that title that it wasn't my first job, so the assumption is that I had other jobs prior to that as I built my skillset. That same assumption may not be the case oif you are in tech, where you might have the title if programmer for your entire career.

There is no harm in putting more than 10 years on your resume, but concentrate on the last 10 for your accomplishments and responsibilities. i usually see people put more than 10 years of job history on the application.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:

I doubt that's going to be a problem. I'd be more worried about the time making you look too old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search