Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

Im tired of all these DO NOT REPLY rejection emails. At least tell me why you decided not to go forward with my resume. Tell me what skills im lacking. So i can improve and focus on what needs to be done. Oh well im using all this as motivation. When i get a job back on the east coast(read previous posts) im gonna spend time with family and go BACK TO SCHOOL. i see without a degree, YOU ARE SCREWED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:21 PM

144 posts, read 115,071 times
Wait, you actually receive rejection emails? Wow, you must be doing something right! Most of my applications, I get zero response.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM

77 posts, read 71,631 times
Agreed, but
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I get zero response.
is true for me as well, and I'm 370 applications (over 2 years) in.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Im tired of all these DO NOT REPLY rejection emails. At least tell me why you decided not to go forward with my resume. Tell me what skills im lacking. So i can improve and focus on what needs to be done. Oh well im using all this as motivation. When i get a job back on the east coast(read previous posts) im gonna spend time with family and go BACK TO SCHOOL. i see without a degree, YOU ARE SCREWED.
Don't dwell on it that much. Just keep applying.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Do you know how many resumes these people screening must go through? And how many of them are from people who have zero relevance or experience to the job? And those whose resume's look like a pre schooler wrote and formatted it?

I'm not saying it's the greatest of things not to get a reply, but in past I usually never got a reply back after I applied and forwarded resume. Since I applied online, I'd get one of those canned "thank you for applying, if your skill sets match we will notify you" responses.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 PM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Interesting topic.

Please someone clarify me the following question: What is the difference between being ignored without a reply at all and being rejected by a generic email sent to you 2 or 3 weeks later of your application?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
While that is often considered classified information, I sometimes managed to find out. In one case I didn't have specific experience, another the potential employer did not get selected for the project.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Even when there are only 10-15 people interviewed, companies are not anxious to give out specifics of their reason for your rejection. They are not there to help you get a job elsewhere, they are only trying to get the best possible person to fill their vacancy. There is also the threat of lawsuits, if a person from HR or hiring manager says the wrong thing. By saying nothing, there is no evidence to worry about. If you are not selected, it just means someone else was determined to be better. If there was only one opening and at least two applicants, someone is going to be the loser, and there is nothing you can do but keep trying.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
In addition to what Hemlock posted, it is also a matter of effectively managing employees' time. If we did not move forward with your interview, neither I or anyone else is going to send 60 individually crafted letters to applicants with an analysis of the areas in which they need improvement -- that is not our job. It also avoids the endless back-and-forth of rebuttals and justifications on why they did actually meet a deficiency and should be placed back into the consideration pile.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Interesting topic.

Please someone clarify me the following question: What is the difference between being ignored without a reply at all and being rejected by a generic email sent to you 2 or 3 weeks later of your application?

Thanks
Would have loved to have heard THAT sooner. I once got an email from the HR of a hospital I applied to for the janitor position. NINE MONTHS later they sent me the canned response.

I then (Still having them on my mailing list) sent back a email thanking them for the reply, but I died of starvation waiting for the job offer...Never applied again, but that felt so good to tell them they were slower than slugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search