Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm surprised a veteran of this forum would state such a myth.

To repeat for the umpeenth time, some companies may not reveal why someone was terminated, but not all companies. There are in fact no laws preventing an employer from detailing information about a former coworker as long as it's true. And employers these days are hardly intimidated by lawsuit threats, as futile age discrimination claims can attest to.

Let's not forget the classic loaded question, "is this former employee eligible for rehire."

And of course the grapevine where anything can be found about an applicant offline.
No but smart companies just give titles and dates of employment though some may not. Having someone or hiring a service to call as a checker and find out what they will say is prudent. Otherwise pretty much any spin you put on being fired makes no difference. You are a leper as far as other employers are concerned.

Most companies will give out titles and dates of employment or direct you to the Worknumber for verification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
How would you feel about this response during an interview? "I disagreed with company policy I felt it was unethical." This is very true in my case btw. They believed in managing people by bullying and wanted me to do the same, and I'm not that type of manager.
They will declare you an insubordinate problem employee and trash your app.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:06 PM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
@MSchemist80 not sure if you follow Liz Ryan on LinkedIn but she wrote an excellent article about this. Here is what she says to A VP of sales who was going through the same thing I did: “I could see that it was time for me and the management team to part ways.” That’s all you need to say about that. Don’t trash your former bosses, however sleazily they ran their business.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:25 PM

They will still be suspicious. No one quits a job without another lined up unless they were laid off or were moving out of the area.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They will still be suspicious. No one quits a job without another lined up unless they were laid off or were moving out of the area.
Yup. I got grilled by HR dolts after I quit my retail job once I graduated college. Despite me being an excellent, reliable employee of 5 years combined with glowing management references, they automatically assumed red flags and tried as hard as possible to see if I would slip and somehow mention that I had gotten fired. I learned to simply tell them that I left because I was excited to start the next chapter of my professional career and wanted to be flexible as possible when it came to things like interviewing, start dates, etc. with potential positions (no crazy shifts/hours which could prevent me from attending an important interview). Even when I fill out online apps these days, I simply put down my reason for leaving as "Graduated college."

Honestly, I just got tired of the job and wanted a break for a bit to recharge after working 30 hours a week while being a full-time student for 4 years. Luckily, I found a job since then and now employers commend me on how long I was there for and are impressed that I worked while I was in school. I guess I've managed to dodge that stigma as for now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search