Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Why would you even entertain the idea of applying again with a company that rescinded your job offer over a 5K discrepancy? Show some dignity. Move on.
I don't always judge the entire company by the actions of their HR people. I have come to expect obnoxiousness and idiocy from them. However, I do blame companies that let them off their leash and often find little recourse but to cut your losses when they start jerking you around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't always judge the entire company by the actions of their HR people. I have come to expect obnoxiousness and idiocy from them. However, I do blame companies that let them off their leash and often find little recourse but to cut your losses when they start jerking you around.
wow. sorry to hear they did this over 5k. Now, I am going through Hire_Right background check as well.

I remember company recruiter asking me my salary plus bonuses. I realized my base salary and overtime work is $4500 less than what I told the recruiter when posed but that I remember saying I made about ~90k. My last paycheck clearly states that it is on-call/overtime, but she asked about bonuses, now i remember clearly. I said my bonuses with base is ~90k. Not only it is not bonus, but on-call/overtime, the total compensation is $4500 less, but truthfully I was not inflating or anything. I just said its is about ~90k. Few days later once again she asked what my bonus was, I said 12k subtracting total of ~90k from my base salary in my head!. . that is what i was thinking at the time not knowing this could be big deal, but the recruiter told me i will present my w2 during check. i sense she is waiting for it and will double check all what I said during the process.

I could do two things: ( they will ask me this week possibly to prove via w2 or pay stub)

1. present w2 which does not differentiate bonus or on call, but total compensation of 85.5K ( which is 4.5k is shorter)
2. present last years last pay stub which clearly states on-call /overtime compensation ( not bonus) but also includes non taxable reimbursement money which has ytd column of ~95k total.

I am so nervous now. the company is huge and I never meant to lie about my salary at all. it is just I was careless during the phone call and did not even think I need to make the clear distinction with exact amount. Its just I though my total compensation was about 90k, correctly reporting my base salary, and i remember she asked me my total bonus and thinking my total was about 90k, I said its 12k. I am dead. anyone please help asap

what should I do? present 1, and pray they will not make a big fuss and present 2, which I am not sure how Hire_Rite will report to the company as my total compensation, they could see the bonus vs extra pay which could also kill the offer.

I am really dead. I went thru vigorous interviews and now it will be so hard on me to lose this offer over this

Last edited by blutao; 04-30-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 PM

86 posts, read 105,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutao View Post
wow. sorry to hear they did this over 5k. Now, I am going through Hire_Right background check as well.

I remember company recruiter asking me my salary plus bonuses. I realized my base salary and overtime work is $4500 less than what I told the recruiter when posed but that I remember saying I made about ~90k. My last paycheck clearly states that it is on-call/overtime, but she asked about bonuses, now i remember clearly. I said my bonuses with base is ~90k. Not only it is not bonus, but on-call/overtime, the total compensation is $4500 less, but truthfully I was not inflating or anything. I just said its is about ~90k. Few days later once again she asked what my bonus was, I said 12k subtracting total of ~90k from my base salary in my head!. . that is what i was thinking at the time not knowing this could be big deal, but the recruiter told me i will present my w2 during check. i sense she is waiting for it and will double check all what I said during the process.

I could do two things: ( they will ask me this week possibly to prove via w2 or pay stub)

1. present w2 which does not differentiate bonus or on call, but total compensation of 85.5K ( which is 4.5k is shorter)
2. present last years last pay stub which clearly states on-call /overtime compensation ( not bonus) but also includes non taxable reimbursement money which has ytd column of ~95k total.

I am so nervous now. the company is huge and I never meant to lie about my salary at all. it is just I was careless during the phone call and did not even think I need to make the clear distinction with exact amount. Its just I though my total compensation was about 90k, correctly reporting my base salary, and i remember she asked me my total bonus and thinking my total was about 90k, I said its 12k. I am dead. anyone please help asap

what should I do? present 1, and pray they will not make a big fuss and present 2, which I am not sure how Hire_Rite will report to the company as my total compensation, they could see the bonus vs extra pay which could also kill the offer.

I am really dead. I went thru vigorous interviews and now it will be so hard on me to lose this offer over this
Companies have no right to demand your W-2 history! That's confidential information. And relax - you are not dead as you mentioned it! I wouldn't present your W-2 information at all. That's none of their business to be frank.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 AM

Or as I suggested doctor it to match what you told them. People bullying personal information from you don't deserve honesty.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 PM

449 posts, read 494,899 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. It is not illegal and you could not get sued. What would the company sue you for? By faking a W-2 the company was deprived of the opportunity to unfairly lowball your offer therefore we are suing for damages. They'd be laughed out of court. If lying to get a job were illegal all of our politicians would be in jail.
It actually is illegal. It's considered "employment fraud" and forgery. Many states have laws against this on the books and its a serious offense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_fraud

Last edited by MDude25; 05-03-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
It actually is illegal. It's considered "employment fraud" and forgery. Many states have laws against this on the books and its a serious offense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_fraud
Did you read the article?

It covers misrepresenting your income to obtain a loan (fallout from 2008), fraudulent staffing agencies charging people to find a job and starting fake companies to defraud job seekers. Nowhere does it mention inflating your credentials or concealing gaps, or lying about salary history to avoid being salary price-fixed.

As long as you do not do it for critical licensed jobs like a doctor or police officer inflating your credentials, concealing a gap, using fake references, or lying about your salary history are not prosecutable. This idea you need to be 100% honest during the hiring process is complete and utter nonsense started by employers to give themselves the advantage. Classic do as I say not as I do.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 PM

449 posts, read 494,899 times
Quote:
Did you read the article?

It covers misrepresenting your income to obtain a loan (fallout from 2008), fraudulent staffing agencies charging people to find a job and starting fake companies to defraud job seekers. Nowhere does it mention inflating your credentials or concealing gaps, or lying about salary history to avoid being salary price-fixed.

As long as you do not do it for critical licensed jobs like a doctor or police officer inflating your credentials, concealing a gap, using fake references, or lying about your salary history are not prosecutable. This idea you need to be 100% honest during the hiring process is complete and utter nonsense started by employers to give themselves the advantage. Classic do as I say not as I do.
Employment fraud is not limited to just loans, but also employment, hence the name "employment fraud". I think you should read the whole thing and not just cherry pick.

Faking a W-2 is fraud and that is illegal. The fact that you would even think something like that is legal says a lot about you.

We're not talking about embellishing a resume (legal) but faking a federal form, the W-2 (IRS).

Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Employment fraud is not limited to just loans, but also employment, hence the name "employment fraud". I think you should read the whole thing and not just cherry pick.

Faking a W-2 is fraud and that is illegal. The fact that you would even think something like that is legal says a lot about you.

We're not talking about embellishing a resume (legal) but faking a federal form, the W-2 (IRS).
Show me one person (outside of a critical licensed profession) that was prosecuted for inflating their credentials or faking references or fudging their salary history with a fake w-2. As I said, if lying to get a job was illegal every politician would be in jail.

No prosecutor or even civil court is going to take a company seriously that says I gave a higher salary to someone because they faked a w-2 when if I knew what they were really making in their last job I would have low-balled. Demanding salary history is even starting to be made illegal in some states. Also everyone lies to various extents to get a job and get through an interview or are you going to contend that you give the real reason you left each and every job (manager was a @hole, I wanted more money).

As for ethics, the companies have no moral high ground there. If they want to bully salary history to price fix labor they don't deserve honesty.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 05-05-2017 at 06:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search