Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 108,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Unless you really have rare and in demand skills at this point it seems like the company is going to reject you. It is very bizarre for them to obsess over a $5k difference in salary which is not relevant information in the first place as if you faked your degree or something.

Overall it doesn't sound like a great company but in the future either be absolutely truthful on your salary or be prepared to edit/fake a w-2 or or paystub. That is my preferred method for d-bag employers who bully personal information from you that they have no right to.
This company is in the top 50 for the biggest and the most successful companies in the world. They are huge. The thing that bothers me the most is that everything else looks 100% perfect on the background check, it's just this 5K salary discrepancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Unfortunately big companies have big HR departments which is another reason why I tend to avoid them. Dealing with their BS negatively impacts workplace enjoyment.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:24 PM

137 posts, read 199,588 times
If they come back and ask you why you added the $5K, make sure to explain that it covered your total salary even between two positions. Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out. If there is at least one reasonable and logical person on the that committee hopefully they will understand where you were coming from.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 AM

I have already explained to them where I got that 5K from and I have provided documentation for it. They said that they have a threshold for salary discrepancy that they allow but I'm a little bit over that threshold.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Once HR gets involved things fall apart. That is why I make it my mission at work to have as little to do with HR as possible. Next time fake the W-2 or paystub so it matches.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM

Faking w2s and pay stubs is illegal and if they find out, I could be sued or go to jail. It's not worth it.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM

Don't be ridiculous. It is not illegal and you could not get sued. What would the company sue you for? By faking a W-2 the company was deprived of the opportunity to unfairly lowball your offer therefore we are suing for damages. They'd be laughed out of court. If lying to get a job were illegal all of our politicians would be in jail.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 PM

What if they verify the payslip that i give them with my employer?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 AM

Do you really think your employer is just going to hand over payslips and private financial data to anyone who calls? That's a great way to get sued especially when Iggy the identity thief calls. Why do you think they are asking you for a payslip or W-2? They can't verify it themselves.

A lot of places are outsorcing those types of inquiries to TheworkNumber who will verify dates of employment but only verify income if the subject them-self logs onto the site, gets a PIN number for an authorization and then provides the PIN to the inquirer.

Like I said when POS HR people abuse their power to demand information from candidates which they have no business to they deserve to be lied to. And they wonder why we have so many laws regarding employment.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 PM

job offer was rescinded. I guess the 5K salary discrepancy was too much for a company that's worth 40 billion. oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search