Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:48 AM

20 posts, read 22,612 times

Advertisements

When you interview for a new job, do most potential employers have some type of written document telling you how much they will charge employees for Medical and Dental insurance?

I have been job hunting and the few places I have visited just tell me they have competitive comprehensive benefits and leave it at that. In my opinion that does not tell me much and their comprehensive benefits could cost me anything from $0 to $500 a month for the same coverage.

In your experience, what do most employers do? How comprehensive is the information on employee premiums for health and dental insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I have never received anything like that, nor do we provide anything like that when we interview people. I suppose you could call HR and find out what their various plans cost.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
It really depends on the type of employer and whether it considers the benefits as part of a draw. In most cases, it will probably be discussed during the offer phase.

I agree that it's often difficult. I'm looking for a new job and am coming from the public sector. The salaries are low but the benefits are dirt cheap and comprehensive, so it might take a big raise to make up for it in a new job. However, without that information, it's hard to know. When companies ask for salary requirements without even providing a minimum of information about how much insurance costs or what the benefits are, it's really hard to get an idea of how much I would consider acceptable to make the move.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I always ask for this during the offer phase and have alway received it, no questions asked. It's big part of the equation and they have never had any problems providing this to me.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We do not give details, but if, during the negotiation process after an offer they ask, we will tell them the details including their cost for each available health plan, dental, and life (free).

Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM

93 posts, read 95,961 times
My company's costs are public. We have a public website (not behind a company firewall) with all premiums and employee contributions. Recruiters also have a price sheet that outlines what benefits cost per pay band.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:06 AM

So if few employees tell applicants for employment how much their insurance is going to cost, this puts the typical new employee in a bind after they start the new job when they find that even though two job offers for $41k were not really the same compensation because one employer puts basically nothing into the employees health insurance coverage.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:31 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spring Greenery View Post
So if few employees tell applicants for employment how much their insurance is going to cost, this puts the typical new employee in a bind after they start the new job when they find that even though two job offers for $41k were not really the same compensation because one employer puts basically nothing into the employees health insurance coverage.
most people ask about the cost when offered the job if it was something they were concerned about.

Then they can decide on the offer and accept it or leave it.

You can't blame the companies on this, they do offer the benefits information, it's the job seekers responsibility to ask for it if they want to know before taking offer

Old 03-28-2016, 05:49 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spring Greenery View Post
No, it does not. If we offer you a job and you ask about the cost of benefits, we will tell you that we don't know, that there are several options for health and/or dental, and give you the phone number to benefits. You can call them and find out what your cost will be before you accept. It's really not that difficult.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 AM

Most people don't ask about benefits costs, they just ask about their base pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search