U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM

242 posts, read 226,321 times

Advertisements

Between my own experience and the many articles I have read on Forbes, Business Insider, etc I have come to the conclusion that the ATS doesn't work and if you are applying to a job at a company that uses them you need to network your way in. When I look at everyone I know working for a major company they got their job because of professional contacts. Has anyone here ever succeeded in getting past the ATS and actually got an interview which eventually landed them the job?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM

12,625 posts, read 10,287,894 times
Yes. You need a strong resume.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:12 PM

12,717 posts, read 12,346,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes. You need a strong resume.
In particular, a resume that strongly matches the job posting.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 04-04-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM

22,252 posts, read 13,620,865 times
Not me.

I have applied countless times to many companies in my industry in the past when I was looking, one company even overseas, and never got a bite.

My resume was exactly the background and job experience these positions needed, and I tailored the cover letter for the position, but nope, nothing.

One company did send one of those generic "thank you for applying, if your background matches the position, we will proceed further" robo e-mails. This is actually the company I work for now. In fact I applied to this company multiple times through the years with no interest at all.

So how did I get a job here? Simple. At my previous job, I worked with this co-worker, whose boyfriend was working at my current company. I also worked with this guy on another previous job (small world in my industry). I inquired about openings and he personally took my resume and handed it over to the hiring managers. That did the trick, not long after I got a phone screen, in person interview, then job offer. Imagine that, years of applying and multiple applications, and only after this I got an offer. No surprise though, employee referrals are big in my industry.

In fact, out of 7 jobs I have had since leaving the military a long time ago, only 1 job did I apply on my own with no referrals from anyone I knew (but I did apply through an agency). All other jobs someone I knew from before that worked at the company vouched for me and helped me get in.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM

The problem with this type of thinking is the reality that people get jobs everyday without having any contacts in the company.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 PM

242 posts, read 226,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The problem with this type of thinking is the reality that people get jobs everyday without having any contacts in the company.
I agree that it can happen but from personal experience and that of many friends and family it seems online job postings really only work for small to medium sized companies. If you want to get into a big company that tends to use the ATS as part of its recruiting process it seems that you need to network and get an internal referral.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
I agree that it can happen but from personal experience and that of many friends and family it seems online job postings really only work for small to medium sized companies. If you want to get into a big company that tends to use the ATS as part of its recruiting process it seems that you need to network and get an internal referral.
Nope. I applied online for my current job at a large company (over 100k employees) and was selected. Sorry, but my experience is contrary to what you believe.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 PM

11,308 posts, read 10,028,031 times
I have, several times. I have had a great response rate for jobs that I match closely, and an almost zero response rate for jobs that I have onl a generic match for.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM

57 posts, read 41,510 times
I have a few times. I have experience in a niche industry and I almost always get an interview when I apply to the postings. However, I have been trying to brand out and the results haven't been as good.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 PM

5,634 posts, read 6,485,030 times
I make it from ATS to a call about half the time. I have a solid resume that is customized for each position to use their keywords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search