Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Then you've never screened and hired new grads in high tech.

I skim the transcript looking for bad grades. A bad grade on any course in their major is pretty much an automatic rejection. I'd probably reject any transcript with a D unless it was their Freshman year and they had strong grades afterwards. If I have a stack of 50 candidates, why would I bother with the one who gave up on a course and got a D when I have a couple dozen transcripts with all A's and B's? They're going to do the same thing at work when they get assigned something they hate or something they struggle with.
You are going to end up with a lot of book smart people who may or may not be good at their jobs. This is great, if it is what you are after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:21 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I basically gave up during my last semester of college and got several D's. It's never been an issue.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You are going to end up with a lot of book smart people who may or may not be good at their jobs. This is great, if it is what you are after.
Then you know little about screening for tech jobs. Finance jobs are even worse. A hiring manager at Goldman Sachs has a stack of 10,000 resumes for that pressure cooker finance job with a 90% wash-out rate. Anybody with any blemish on their transcript is going to be rejected. With screening, I'm also looking at SAT, GRE, GMAT, or whatever standardized tests are available to screen out the less bright applicants. I won't hire somebody with less than a 650 SAT Math score for a software engineering job.

I usually have a very limited budget and can't afford to make hiring mistakes. I'm screening for smart, work ethic, communication ability, and ability to work with a team. Subject matter expertise is less important as long as their overall background is adequate because somebody smart enough with the work ethic is going to come up to speed quickly. If I see a D, that makes me very suspicious about work ethic.

If you're hiring a convenience store manager, who cares. If you're hiring into a high tech team where anybody with 5+ years in is 6 figures and everybody is a high achiever, a D is a big problem. A good hiring manager always tries to hire people better than they are. The old saying with managers is "A's hire A's, B's hire C's". It's amazing how much damage a weak hiring manager can do to an engineering organization in a year or two.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
I skim the transcript looking for bad grades. A bad grade on any course in their major is pretty much an automatic rejection. I'd probably reject any transcript with a D unless it was their Freshman year and they had strong grades afterwards. If I have a stack of 50 candidates, why would I bother with the one who gave up on a course and got a D when I have a couple dozen transcripts with all A's and B's? They're going to do the same thing at work when they get assigned something they hate or something they struggle with.
This is an example of what is wrong in American employment. This is the "nanny state" at work.

What are you going to do, trace these kids back to kindergarten and find out how many times their noses were wiped? What the hell business is it of anyone in a hiring position, to scan somebody's grades??? Higher education was never meant to be vocational training! There are kids coming out of college now that were failed by the public school system, and needed remedial reading and math in freshman year. Do you screen for that, too...or is it so common that you don't bother? Or is it OK, as long as they got A's in remedial??

If you have a problem with the education system in this country, don't take it out on the products of it!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Then you know little about screening for tech jobs. Finance jobs are even worse. A hiring manager at Goldman Sachs has a stack of 10,000 resumes for that pressure cooker finance job with a 90% wash-out rate. Anybody with any blemish on their transcript is going to be rejected. With screening, I'm also looking at SAT, GRE, GMAT, or whatever standardized tests are available to screen out the less bright applicants. I won't hire somebody with less than a 650 SAT Math score for a software engineering job.

I usually have a very limited budget and can't afford to make hiring mistakes. I'm screening for smart, work ethic, communication ability, and ability to work with a team. Subject matter expertise is less important as long as their overall background is adequate because somebody smart enough with the work ethic is going to come up to speed quickly. If I see a D, that makes me very suspicious about work ethic.

If you're hiring a convenience store manager, who cares. If you're hiring into a high tech team where anybody with 5+ years in is 6 figures and everybody is a high achiever, a D is a big problem. A good hiring manager always tries to hire people better than they are. The old saying with managers is "A's hire A's, B's hire C's". It's amazing how much damage a weak hiring manager can do to an engineering organization in a year or two.
I can't agree with this at all. I know at least a hundred people who are either in their first job or who have been interviewing for it in high tech, (Meaning: EE/ECE, CS, IT, etc), in addition to myself

No one has ever asked me or any of them for a transcript other than maybe for verifying degree/GPA claims after the offer was already extended, and certainly not for any sort of standardized test score. Quite frankly, it'd be absurd.

None of the tech majors care in the slightest about GPA. What they do care about is that you can pass their technical interview and other layers of interviewing.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is an example of what is wrong in American employment. This is the "nanny state" at work. !
Ignore his approach, I would guess he hires for entry-level. straight out of college or government jobs. This is not standard way of working for public companies hiring for professional level jobs and this has been confirmed via the responses in a previous thread as well as my own experience.

Public companies care about experience and accomplishments through your career, and fit to there organization, not that you got a D in Algebra when you were 19 years old. The idea that a company would care about this for a potential employee that has been in a field for 20 years is laughable.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
i got a D in linear algebra last semester. I was majoring in Statistics. i have since changed my major to business(concentration in Decision Science, which is basically learning how to make business decisions using quantitative methods and computer simulation), which doesn't require that class at all. So how much would employers care about that D in linear algebra, so long as overall GPA is decent(3.0+)? I feel discouraged because i feel like it would stick out like a sore thumb. I want to be a business analyst or something like that after graduation.
The sheepskin you get is what they want to see...Not the grades.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 50,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I've never had an employer ever be concerned with any grade in anything. Degree, or no degree.
I have never had an employer ask for any sort of transcript or GPA, ever. I retook Accounting twice and barely got a C and went on to work in a math-based profession.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
i got a D in linear algebra last semester. I was majoring in Statistics. i have since changed my major to business(concentration in Decision Science, which is basically learning how to make business decisions using quantitative methods and computer simulation), which doesn't require that class at all. So how much would employers care about that D in linear algebra, so long as overall GPA is decent(3.0+)? I feel discouraged because i feel like it would stick out like a sore thumb. I want to be a business analyst or something like that after graduation.
It as admittedly a long time ago , but I graduated with a 3.01 GPA with a BS in Comp Sci. So I made my goal just barely.

One of the guys I interviewed with for my first career job was a Brit, and he told me something that has stuck with me. He said I had what he considered to be a "gentleman's GPA". It was high enough to show that I had competency, but low enough to slow I had a life outside of class, and that he actually preferred that to folks coming in with a 4.0 or higher GPA. They were looking for people they could get along with.

Not sure they care about stuff like that. Then again, the only "D" I had was in an advanced English class which was an elective, so it wasn't all that relevant to my degree.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 04-05-2016 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Most employers won't even look at your transcript as long as you get a reputable degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search