Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 PM

525 posts, read 406,174 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a BA degree in Sociology 5 months ago. I have been on a total of 6 job interviews into the career I wanted after college, but no offers. I always wanted to work as a Children and Families Social worker. I thought that once I get out of college, I can walk right into that field, but it is so hard to find a job as a social worker just coming out of college. I had an internship in college at a state agency, but did so bad during the interview that they did not hire me.

While in college, I worked as a preschool teacher and still do. Because of my long years of teaching in early childhood those are the jobs that only give me a for sure offer. I have a job interview with this company that I originally applied for as an Family Advocate, however they gave me call asking to interview me as an infant/toddler teacher. At first, I was hesitant to take the interview, but I desperately need a job. The pay is good there and the company also offers great work hours along with spring break and summer months off. I also heard that the company gives tons of promotions so I am hoping I can move my way up from a teacher to a Family advocate.

I am now studying for a Master of Social Work and feeling somewhat on the edge about it because the offers I keep getting as a teacher. Teaching, nursing, and criminal justice careers are what's moving in the economy where I am at.

Should I switch degrees or stay in social work? also taking a teacher job even though it is not in my field a smart thing to do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 AM

551 posts, read 582,587 times
I would definitely interview for the teacher job, personally. As you say, it positions you ideally for future opportunities. Get your foot in the door and go from there. It's a tough market and it appears it may only get tougher.. Good luck with the interview.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 AM

817 posts, read 752,619 times
Hang in there bud, it's tough but you will find something

Old 04-07-2016, 02:39 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I'd take the teaching job and see if I could later work it into another position. You may like the job and go on a different career path. Have you critically examined why you did so poorly in your internship?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:20 PM

525 posts, read 406,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'd take the teaching job and see if I could later work it into another position. You may like the job and go on a different career path. Have you critically examined why you did so poorly in your internship?

I did not do to the best of my ability because I had a total of 6 classes. I was trying to finish up college. The class load and then Internship while working full time as a teacher was a bit much.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Getting your MSW/LCSW is still a good career choice, but you may be too narrow in your search. Because of the ACA, mental health services have expanded and LCSWs are being hired to offer affordable mental health counseling and services. I know in my state the social workers for children and families do not need to be LCSWs, so having that degree is not necessarily helpful. There are also other case management jobs you can get with the appropriate training/direct care experience in social work. They pay pretty well and while they are hard work, I find that these days being younger and computer savvy is quite helpful.

In terms of applying, if you are applying to the local non-profits/community-based organizations, getting your foot in the door is the first step. Once you are in, you may be able to get a promotion into something you like more and move up. I would still continue working on your MSW while you do this- so you would want to make sure you'd be able to find something that would give you the supervision hours you need.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 AM

174 posts, read 217,702 times
I would suggest taking the good paying teaching job and not pursuing a masters in social work any longer. Based on the availability of jobs in your area with a bachelors degree and work experience (even if it's not perfectly relative, work experience at all is good).

You have to weigh the risk vs reward. If you invest more in an education for a dead field then you will just be in financial hardship. If you take the job, you will be better financially and you can do social work as a hobby or if the field get mores opportunities in the future that don't require a masters. Just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
I was unemployed for nearly five years and had to do a contract job and retail to stay afloat. I've been in your shoes. Keep fighting and don't give up. Something will come.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 PM

289 posts, read 504,507 times
Eh... as someone who was in similar shoes, I am always leery when I hear of people entering social work or counseling fields. I got my BA in psych and was fully prepared to become a counselor, but then I got real with myself. I spent years looking for jobs with my BA, and I couldn't find many. What I could find paid joke wages (including many social work jobs that I met the job requirements for). I continued following the job market for people who had master's degrees and licenses, and guess what- not any different. The only difference is you'll have invested tens of thousands of dollars for a master's degree. Let's see, a master's degree costs at least $30,000 in most places (and let's not forget the probably $20,000 you spent on your bachelor's). The national average salary for a social worker is about $45,000. You'll have spent more on school than your salary is likely to be. That goes against all the conventional wisdom I've heard on how much you should spend on college. If you want to pursue a career in social work without a master's (and I'm assuming the license that a master's paves the road for), then just be prepared for even fewer jobs and lower salary.

Let me ask you a question- do you like teaching? Is it something you would enjoy doing as a career? Depending on your state you may not need a master's to get a teaching license. You might be able to take a few related classes in addition to your BA to earn a license. That would save you the expense of a master's degree (ignore this advice if your state requires one for teaching). You could become a special education teacher, which kind of blends teaching and a therapeutic role.

At the very least, I would suggest looking for some teaching jobs since you need a job and that is what you have experience in. Once you have a job, I honestly would take some time to reevaluate the master's in social work and see if it's right for you or if there's a different career path you might be happier with. Consider the cost of education vs. the salary that gets you. Consider the job market. Ask yourself what your goals are and what things in life are important to you, then ask yourself if a career in social work is going to give you that. I don't want to discourage people from human services jobs because it is important work, but I really, really, hate seeing bright-eyed college kids get into the field without facing the practical realities of it. I feel like I wasn't honest enough with myself about these facts when I was younger and it came back to bite me. I'm switching careers now and wish I had done it sooner. Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Did you get a sociology or social work degree? Sociology has no direct labor market path, while social work does. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search