Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM

118 posts, read 126,240 times

Advertisements

Some say do this with your resume. Others say don't do that on your resume. Some same this about interviewing...others saying something completely different. ...And these are supposed "professionals"....

What the hell is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
The answer is that different things work for different people, in different professions, in different areas of the country, working with different companies, and subject to the preferences of different hiring managers.

Think of it like a restaurant. There are dozens of different ways to cook a steak. Your preference is different from another person's, and you may like some versions equally. But they are all steak restaurants, and all serve the same thing, but they do it differently.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Resumes, interview answers, even dress attire is something one hiring official may love it the next person will immediately reject. The simple fact is hiring is very arbitrary and seldom is the person hired who is the best person for the job.

It is all a dysfunctional mess and trying to make sense of it is pointless. Just don't do anything blatantly bad and deal with it as best you can.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM

928 posts, read 1,102,117 times
It's funny you should bring this up. In a different internet forum I visit someone asked for resume advice from hiring managers only.

The first ten people that responded, all gave polar opposite answers. One said "Resume should be one page, anything longet than ine page goes in the trash". Next guy said "In my field I would never consider interviewing someone with less than a three page resume full of accomplishments". Regarding cover letters, one guy said he tosses any resume with a cover letter in the trash immediately. Another said the cover letter is the first thing he reads, yet another one didn't care one way or the other. And so on and so on and so on.

I think the only thing they all agreed on was that no spelling and gramatical errors were allowed. I hope one day to become a hiring manager so I can just screew with candidates any way that I want.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
I do what I initially think is right. I was told not to put volunteer work on my resume if it's irrelevant. And yet I had to show that when I was unemployed, I did this, this and that. It's just stupid how there's so many rules these days.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I do what I initially think is right. I was told not to put volunteer work on my resume if it's irrelevant. And yet I had to show that when I was unemployed, I did this, this and that. It's just stupid how there's so many rules these days.
There are no hard and fast "rules." There are only suggestions. You have to be flexible and try different things.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There are no hard and fast "rules." There are only suggestions. You have to be flexible and try different things.
To me it sounds that way bur you're right. You do have to be flexible.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,124 times
I think because a lot of people get the job in a different. That is person A's resume may have listed volunteer experience and he got the job vs person B who did not list volunteer experience and got the job-so yes to some degree the how to get a job advice will never be completely uniform.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
To me it sounds that way bur you're right. You do have to be flexible.
Yes, that's true. Even the same manager will do things differently depending on the position, how many applicants there are, the requirements, and their experience with previous employees in that position, unless it's new, then different again. In some cases HR has hard and fast rules, and sticks to them. In others, the hiring manager makes all decisions. For me, the HR recruiter must verify that the candidates meet the minimum requirements, then I decide who gets an interview. After the interviews, I decide who gets the job.HR then verifies background/references and makes an offer based on my salary parameters withing the allowable range. The week before last I interviewed 6 of the 30 or so applicants, and made a selection the same day. We are still waiting for the references to call back.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Yes. It's even worse for me because I have a disability on top of that. Some people will tell me not to disclose some will tell me to because I may get hiring preferences. Some will tell me yes disclose but wait until after you get the job (but then you have the 90 day probationary period sometimes so it gets even more messy if I even get a job). The coach I have even gives conflicting advice. One time she told me it is okay to disclose we can sue but then when I finally do it and ask her about it another time she tells me it is hard to prove.

I know life doesn't have any guarantees but this is the most conflicting thing I've ever had to do in my life. I'm already bad at making decisions...the difficulty of job hunt makes it worse. I don't know why it has to be so hair pulling worthy. I mean I'm not going to just be given money. I have to earn my keep so why oh why does it have to be harder to get a chance to earn than to actually earn?

I don't know what is worse anymore..taking those stupid online applications or going to interviews. You're even told different things about those personality tests. You have to be careful to not look like you're lying but at the same time you can't tell the truth. Interviews are hard to figure out too..they are worse for me right now because I have the most difficult time connecting with people without worrying about the outcome. I think interviewing really is like dating you either have it or you don't and I guess I never will considering I have a hard time even asking a guy out. Better yet it's even worse than dating because your livelihood depends on that person.

Even volunteering isn't entirely clear cut..that's why I don't bother wasting my time with it. I just want to earn money. Sry if this sounds wrong but I'm not worried about making the world a better place or being philanthropic..at least not now. I would rather do things like that when I get on my feet that way I don't feel pressured to expect something out of it. I would feel much better about myself if I earned money. Working for free tells my mind that I'm not worth a salary. I mean why do it if my heart's not in it and though a lot of people swear by it there are others that say it didn't work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search