Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:43 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
While I'm not a hiring manager, I screen candidates to forward to the hiring managers good potentials. I don't care what kind of paper the resume is printed on. I also never read cover letters.
I expect that each person in the hiring process will have their own selection method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:15 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I expect that each person in the hiring process will have their own selection method.
I agree.

My own experience. My previous company I worked at, I was hired alongside with another guy. He had a much higher GPA than mine. His resume was printed on a beautiful paper while mine was printed on a regular white printing paper. He had a cover letter while I didn't have any.

He was let go about 6 months later for being unable to perform to a certain level of standard while I continued on with my career. I'm now a middle manager at a large engineering firm while he's still working at a lower level engineering work at another firm.

I've always wondered what kind of paper the resume is printed on has anything to do with how well a candidate will perform?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:24 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Give me the Pre-Internet era any time. Back in that day, people were hired sometimes a day after (or even the day of!) the interview. The supervisor had a lot more say in who was hired. Today, it's so impersonal, plus it's about who you know, etc.
Let me ask you this. Given that no one has ever built a time machine and you can't go back to pre-internet times, what the f**k does it matter how things were back then? Or are you asking this just to invite peoplento your pity party?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I agree.

My own experience. My previous company I worked at, I was hired alongside with another guy. He had a much higher GPA than mine. His resume was printed on a beautiful paper while mine was printed on a regular white printing paper. He had a cover letter while I didn't have any.

He was let go about 6 months later for being unable to perform to a certain level of standard while I continued on with my career. I'm now a middle manager at a large engineering firm while he's still working at a lower level engineering work at another firm.

I've always wondered what kind of paper the resume is printed on has anything to do with how well a candidate will perform?
It's not a great mystery. Between a nice looking resume and a coffee stained resume, there's a difference in effort. I think you're trying to predict the future. Of course resume paper doesn't guarantee performance. Who said it did?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
It's not a great mystery. Between a nice looking resume and a coffee stained resume, there's a difference in effort. I think you're trying to predict the future. Of course resume paper doesn't guarantee performance. Who said it did?
Here is how I see it. While I don't hold it against candidates for having a resume printed on an awesome custom paper, I have to wonder what are they trying to compensate for?

I have a certain set of skills that I know set me apart from most other candidates. I'm both a structural engineer and a software engineer. I'm confident in myself enough that I don't have to sugarcoat things.

Just think of it this way. Between the guy that goes overboard to make himself pretty and the guy that makes himself presentable and respectable, which one is more likely to be the one that has something to cover up?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Here is how I see it. While I don't hold it against candidates for having a resume printed on an awesome custom paper, I have to wonder what are they trying to compensate for?

I have a certain set of skills that I know set me apart from most other candidates. I'm both a structural engineer and a software engineer. I'm confident in myself enough that I don't have to sugarcoat things.

Just think of it this way. Between the guy that goes overboard to make himself pretty and the guy that makes himself presentable and respectable, which one is more likely to be the one that has something to cover up?
I see it as candidates putting their best foot forward.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I see it as candidates putting their best foot forward.
I know. But is printing the resume on a beautiful piece of paper really a best foot?

When I screen for candidates, I look for skills, confidence level, objectivity, initiativity, etc. I'm screening candidates to be engineers, not beauticians.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM

108 posts, read 104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Let me ask you this. Given that no one has ever built a time machine and you can't go back to pre-internet times, what the f**k does it matter how things were back then? Or are you asking this just to invite peoplento your pity party?
Chill out, dude. Have some coffee.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I know. But is printing the resume on a beautiful piece of paper really a best foot?

When I screen for candidates, I look for skills, confidence level, objectivity, initiativity, etc. I'm screening candidates to be engineers, not beauticians.
Wow, you're really hung up on resume paper. My inclusion of it was simply an example of going the extra mile while job hunting.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I suspect with most large businesses the paper resume will just go in the round file. They want things on line so they can use their prescreen software. Even if they do take the paper, someone in HR will transpose it to their software package. Then it becomes more about hitting the right keywords than anything else. If the software doesn't match up keywords it really doesn't matter how good your are. I've known top flight engineers who couldn't get past the screening software because they used "happy" and the software wanted "glad."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search