Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:49 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,717 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I had an offer from a company on Monday that was $75k. They said they would be getting me a offer letter over today, and I haven't seen it yet.

Since that conversation, I researched on glassdoor and found out that the position would pay between $63k - $98K (so mine was in the middle). Because of my skills and knowledge in the industry, I countered at $92,750 yesterday in a e-mail (they are Internationally based, so our time differences can make it difficult to communicate.)

I missed a call from them around 9:30am this morning and I was in a meeting. I sent them a e-mail quick and said, "I'm in a meeting, can you call me around 10am?" I never got a response back and they called me at 10:10am... I was still in the same meeting.

With the time difference, they are gone for the day at this point. They didn't send me any emails or leave me a voicemail. So here I am, wondering what they wanted to say.

The optimist in me thinks that they maybe just wanted to say that they got my email and are submitting my counter for approval? If it was a flat out no, wouldn't they have just sent me that in a email or left a voicemail?

Did I mess up? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Hello!
I had an offer from a company on Monday that was $75k. They said they would be getting me a offer letter over today, and I haven't seen it yet.

Since that conversation, I researched and found out that the position would pay between $63k - $98K (so mine was in the middle). Because of my skills and knowledge in the industry, I countered at $92,750 yesterday in a e-mail (they are Internationally based, so our time differences can make it difficult to communicate.

I missed a call from them around 9:30am this morning and I was in a meeting. I sent them a e-mail quick and said, "I'm in a meeting, can you call me around 10am?" I never got a response back and they called me at 10:10am... I was still in the same meeting.

With the time difference, they are gone for the day at this point. They didn't send me any emails or leave me a voicemail. So here I am, wondering what they wanted to say.

The optimist in me thinks that they maybe just wanted to say that they got my email and are submitting my counter for approval? If it was a flat out no, wouldn't they have just sent me that in a email or left a voicemail?

Did I mess up? Thoughts?
I would call as soon as they are available again. I think you should have left the meeting for their 10:10 call, especially since you'd requested the time and more money from them. I think it might send a bad message about your reliability. Definitely don't wait for them to call you.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I would call as soon as they are available again. I think you should have left the meeting for their 10:10 call, especially since you'd requested the time and more money from them. I think it might send a bad message about your reliability. Definitely don't wait for them to call you.
I second this..great advice.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:00 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I think you should have left the meeting for their 10:10 call, especially since you'd requested the time and more money from them. I think it might send a bad message about your reliability. Definitely don't wait for them to call you.
^^^^ I agree. Call them back asap.

Last edited by Sage 80; 04-20-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Thanks all. The issue is that it's International and it's literally 11pm at night there right now. I sent them him another email saying sorry the meeting went longer than anticipated and we should chat tomorrow.

I find it odd that he didn't even send a email with a "Ok I'll call you at 10am" or "Sorry we couldn't connect today" or a voicemail that said "Hi, it's XX, call me when you get this."

Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I find it odd that he didn't even send a email with a "Ok I'll call you at 10am" or "Sorry we couldn't connect today" or a voicemail that said "Hi, it's XX, call me when you get this."
It's not that odd. You told them to call you at 10, and they did. There was no need to confirm for a call that was a few minutes away. Your mistake was not slipping out of the meeting right before 10 with an excuse.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
It's not that odd. You told them to call you at 10, and they did. There was no need to confirm for a call that was a few minutes away. Your mistake was not slipping out of the meeting right before 10 with an excuse.
Crud. @#$%^

Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Not sure what time difference we're talking about, but you should be available to take calls during their regular working hours. You're the one who should be accomodating.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Not sure what time difference we're talking about, but you should be available to take calls during their regular working hours. You're the one who should be accomodating.
I don't agree. Both sides should be accommodating, not just the candidate.

For my current job, when the hiring manager wanted to interview me in person, I explained over email that the project I was managing at the time was operating under a strict time limit and I could not take a day off to go interview with him during normal business hours because I take my job seriously. He replied right away saying it's ok and asked me if I would be willing to come to his office after the work day was over, which was after 5pm. I said yes. Took me an hour to drive there, so we set it up for 6:30 pm. He and another project manager stayed late that day just to interview me.

My point is any serious employer would not expect you to cheat your current employer just to interview with them. And if they want you enough, they'll do whatever it takes to get you. Also, any serious employer would not squabble over the OP not being able to pick up the phone because of a strenuous work circumstance.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't agree. Both sides should be accommodating, not just the candidate.
he was the one to be asked for a meeting at around ten. they accommodated him, he stood them up. if he thought the meeting would be a bit longer, he could have said 11 or noon or whenever. he choose ten, and didnt bring meeting to an end in time. the other party has no control over his actions or lack of.

he can play phone tag but what is to stop him from failing to answer call next time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search