Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM

23 posts, read 63,435 times

Advertisements

I am going to make this as short as possible.

I am in my mid-twenties. No kids and no other restrictions really.

I currently work for a major insurance company. I have been there for almost 4 years.

Not yet vested.

I am currently very unhappy with my position because of the micromanaging and the atmosphere and the low pay. (as a disclosure the company was not always like this, if they had been I would have been gone before now)

My disinterest in it has also sort of had me on the rocks with my manager too.

I have lived in Atlanta all my life and I have been interested in relocation for awhile as in I have really been trying to leave ATL. I'm just sort of tired of it.

I was just offered a job with USAA, in Pheonix, AZ.

The position I was offered is a promotion, in the same field, it offers me more responsibility which means more experience and a better resume, but the pay is only 5k more.

I was reading about the position and apparently it requires constant phone calls, employees are often overworked, and I heard USAA mirco-manages too, again these are all just reviews on glass door so I can't really say whether they are accurate but there seemed to be a general consensus, even from the positive reviews. I also read that competition is very high there and it can take several years to even get your first promotion. I also read that it is a like a "good old boys club" at USAA as well. And your managers are constantly changing.

My current company is more flexible in that area, I've already had 3 promotions.

USAA probably has a little better benefits, but it really comes down to minor things, like matching more on their 401k.

I am wondering if this job (only 5k more) is really worth uprooting my life for?

As much as dislike my current work situation I am afraid to jump ship and jump out of a pot of boiling water and into a frying pan.

I don't feel very good in my gut about this USAA job after reading all those employee reviews on glassdoor. To put it plainly, I don't want to leave on bad situation and move accross the country and end up another bad, micromanaging "typical corporation" situation.

If I stay at my current position I will be here for at least another year a minimum before I might have a chance of getting out. My manager will be here at least until the end of the year before he can get promoted out (which he plans to ASAP- Fortunately!) But this issue is, even if I change managers the environment will still be the same, as in the micromanaging is not going away.

I'll define the micromanaging that goes on at my current company just so you're aware of how bad it really is. My manager will literally sit or stand behind me (and all of other his team members) for at least 2-4 hours a day and watch us work, while he works on his lap top. He tells us he has to meet so many hours a week where he does "floor time". But the floor time is absolutely useless because all he does is make us feel like he is breathing over our shoulder. We have daily team meetings that last 20 minutes, and we have weekly one on ones where we have to meet with our manager for an hour individually and then we also have mandatory 45 minute side by sides where we have to endure an extra 45 minutes of our manager sitting behind us watching us work. Of course as you guess we have metrics and numbers of sort to meet, but I suppose that isn't too bad compared to the other stuff.

So.... all that said... do I stay with the same company? Or do I take the opportunity?

I am leaning towards a no, as no its not worth it, but I wanted to get some feedback.

If anyone has worked for USSA PLEASE respond.

Last edited by JCC112; 04-20-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I've known some who have worked for USAA in CO Springs. They complained about being on the phone all day as that's what the CO Springs office does mainly, phone calls. I don't know about the Phoenix office. They say it's really, really structured and some have complained about micromanaging, but it sounds like the whole call center financial industry is kind of that way. They say that USAA offers the best pay and benefits of most of the call centers in the Springs. Also, it sounds like most all of the higher up positions are based in San Antonio, so if you want to advance a lot, it's likely to require a move there.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think USAA would be too much different from your current job. Maybe better in some areas, but I don't think it would be a radical shift. If your not too hot on moving to Phoenix, I don't know that I would make the move.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I would rather live in Phoenix than I would Atlanta !!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Just a few quick notes:

COL in PHX is (slightly) lower than ATL according to statistics.
USAA is a staple on the best places to work lists.
They're also have one of the highest ratings in terms of customer satisfaction (as a customer myself, I think they do a great job)

Of course, all of these are just that - stats. And it really depends on how much you look at these things and your specific situation.

My .02 - this is an opportunity for you to get out of ATL (something you want). Assuming you're not footing the relocation bill - If the job isn't any better, you at least are now in a new area where you can search for opportunities as a local. Also, given USAA is a diverse financial organization, you may also have more opportunities internally. You didn't' state where you are now, so not sure if that is a relative advantage.

And at your age/career level - I think the more responsibility/experience is a plus in the long run.

On the flip side, the micromanaging you're defining seems more a structure based than manager based. In that you're not just working for a micromanager. But working in an environment where the process itself is micromanaging. If you're doing the same job, but a different company - the process may still be similar. So the real solution is to advance out of this tier. Which may or may not be easier with USAA.

Just my .02.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,773 times
Wherever you go to work in a team or mass of employees working on the same project........ it's like working on a production line (such as a call center, etc.) you will encounter "MIRCOMANAGEMENT" & brown-nosing. It's overbearing and is the root cause for LOW company moral and high turnover, who wants to work like that (I call it legalized slavery)! I've experienced it in both small companies and large corporations. The only way to rid yourself of it, would be to branch off and do your own thing......become SELF-EMPLOYED!!! Good Luck!!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
I worked in claims for 2 insurance companies between Phoenix and Minneapolis over the last 3 years. The company in Phoenix was much better to employees than the company in Minneapolis. I've also heard mixed things about USAA, but the people I've known in real life who went there all liked it more. One thing to keep in mind is that almost every p&c company is in Phoenix (perhaps the case in Atlanta as well?) and GEICO is in Tucson. IMO I would take the offer if you're not currently happy. The SW is a very interesting region.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:22 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The 5k raise will hopefully cover relocation. You will need to rebuild your social circle.

If the management style or work/life balance is better is something noone can tell you. Depending on the position oversight and production will be strictly measured. Can you disclose what position you are looking at?

Old 11-27-2022, 11:58 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Go with your gut.

$5k is less than it will cost to move across the country, so there's no financial gain. Micromanaging overworked staff is how pretty much all companies run. Don't think a new employer in any city will be any different.

Honestly it doesn't sound like you really like the occupation, perhaps you should start with that rather than just looking for a different employer.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:54 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread is from 2016. It was resurrected by a spammer (post now deleted). The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search