Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:12 PM

658 posts, read 722,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He was a jerk for being honest with you?

Would you have been able to do the heavy lifting they required? If so, why didn't you say so?

"Sir, I may look small and weak, but I'm perfectly capable of doing lots of heavy lifting. Show me what you need done, and I'll prove it to you."

How did he respond?

Or did you say: "I'm entitled to this job, and I shouldn't have to do any heavy lifting because that would be sexist and possibly racist and definitely discriminatory. You should make accommodations for me being 5'3" and incapable of such tasks, because I deserve it."
BTW I'm 5 foot 2 and have done a ton of heavy lifting. Do you think no one who is short can lift stuff? Are you high?

Also, when my husband (6 foot 3) and I went to the gym for an initial assessment with a trainer, I came out stronger than him on the test where you have to sit and pull that cord thing toward you.

What is it with all the sexism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
I was interviewing for a job at a law firm. The interviewer was an attorney and the managing partner of the firm. He asked me if I was Catholic. I to,d him that I'm not religious at all and that was the answer he wanted. He'd been Catholic for most of his life, but then his young son had died tragically after being hit by a car while riding his bike. He soured on religion after that and I guess felt more comfortable with people who aren't religious. I ended up taking the job and he was actually a really nice guy and a great boss despite the very awkward interview question.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 12,322 times
I once had an interviewer bash, I mean bash the holy crap out of what would be my future co workers, he was making fun of them left and right, their looks/everything.

I shouldve RAN for the hills, but being a young naive ( and broke ) recent grad, I took the job, lasted 3 months before I threw in the towel, I still have a soft soft in my heart for the poor souls I worked with, that guy was an absolute tyrant.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
I was asked when was the date of my last period in an interview at an oil refinery. This was in the early 1980s. Also, same refinery for a different job a question earlier was can you cook. Refineries in early 1980s were mainly male and I am female.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Should have told them no because Bill Clinton's definition sounded correct to you.
WJC's definition doesn't sound completely unreasonable, but I've never even met the woman in question.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had a similar experience. I applied for a job at a mom-and-pop hardware store and interviewed with the male owner on the spot. Before he even looked at my application, he told me point blank that since I was a woman, I was not a right fit for the position because the job required heavy lifting and in his previous experiences hiring women, they always quit within days because it was too physically demanding. So he wouldn't hire women at all. I suppose this was a basis for filing a sex discrimination lawsuit, but I just decided to apply somewhere else, even though his attitude infuriated me at the time. At least he was honest.
While anyone is free to file a lawsuit, this is likely one you would not have won. Most mom-and-pop stores are not covered by Title VII.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
IRS interview years ago just out of college. Bunch of pompous simpleton jerks. Part of the questions was actually part of some verbal test.
"What would you do if someone you were interviewing spit on you?"
"What would you do if someone paid the IRS fees in pennies?"

My first answer on the spitting questions was "Are you telling me clients regularly spit on you as part of this job?" Otherwise I think I managed to give perfect answers because the next statement after a few minutes of these lines of question was accusatory: "Wait a second, you took this test before haven't you? You never told us this."
At this point I was like "WTF?"

Six month later they sent me a letter offering me a job with the Internal Revenue Service. Of course by this time I had found another job, thank God, and didn't have to work for this screwed up federal agency.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
BTW I'm 5 foot 2 and have done a ton of heavy lifting. Do you think no one who is short can lift stuff? Are you high?

Also, when my husband (6 foot 3) and I went to the gym for an initial assessment with a trainer, I came out stronger than him on the test where you have to sit and pull that cord thing toward you.

What is it with all the sexism?
Then did you say, I may look weak but I'm perfectly capable of doing heavy lifting. Show me what you need done and I'll prove it to you.

Or did you say, "Are you high? What is it with all the sexism?"

If you want the job, rather than get all huffy and insulted by some old-fashioned perceived sexism or what-have-you, just jump in and prove you have what it takes. My two cents and I'm not trying to personally attack or insult you but try reading my posts and responding to the ideas rather than resorting to the "ism".

Frankly if someone goes into an interview with an entitled attitude and a hair trigger insult threshold, the interviewer's going to sense that and this applicant will be history.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yes, this one really has the ring of truth...
I hope you don't imagine that anyone cares what YOU think - regardless of your pointless and unnecessary comment and the fact that you weren't there, thanks for your most valuable post in this regard.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Engineering interviews are boring,
nothing exciting ever happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search