Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM

334 posts, read 221,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Anyway, here is my experience looking for a job: I actually got feedback from my last rejected application. I was told I'm a mystery. I need to open up. The problem was they couldn't find my Facebook account because I have it locked down. I'm not on any other form of social media, unless you consider Linkedin as social media. I was told I should open a Twitter account and post about what is going on in my life.

I actually walked out of an interview in December. Here's why: I was interviewed by four people. One of them starts the interview with, "Let's see what you GOT!" No introduction, just a, "Let's see what you GOT," said with an attitude. The interview proceeded with no discussion about the job or job skills at all. Just a sequence of canned questions they thought were going to put me on the spot. About 14 questions later I was asked why the ocean is blue, so I answered the question. One of them was searching on his phone to see if my answer was correct. Then, after a pause, he says, Huh!, well then, why is the sky blue?" I told them it was Rayleigh scattering that made the sky appear blue. As one of them is checking my answer another one asks me if I'm going to take the interview seriously and accuses me of matching wits with them, so I just terminated the interview at that point.

I went to an interview last year for a position as a GIS technician. I get in the interview and there are 11 people interviewing me. Seriously? After they were going around in circles about not much of anything that made sense, I manage to get a word in edgewise and mentioned that the job description of a GIS technician. They paused, then one of them tells me it is a 'jack of all trades position.' Then another one interrupts and starts asking me random questions about the company, most of which I didn't know. He then asks me what I did to prepare for the interview, then scolded me out loud because I didn't study their webpage. I then informed this panel of idiots that their webpage has had a message on it for three weeks
stating a redesign was coming soon, so no, I wasn't able to read through it. All 11 of them sat across the table in complete silence. And continued to sit there in silence until I told them, "Well, I think this interview is over. Have a nice day!"
Wow, just wow! And this is why, even when I am offered a job, I freak out if I'm really going to have it when the day comes to start it. Some companies are so very weird.

As far as social media goes, sorry folks, park's closed on that. There is NO WAY I want an employer seeing my views on things or what is going on in my life. I don't do any social media except for Facebook and use a fake name for it. Only my real friends or people I went to school with know who it is. I don't like Linked In because I do not like people seeing where I work or what previous jobs I had. That is what my resume is for. I change my resume around depending on which job I'm applying to, so don't really want the employer to see that on my Linked In account either.

I have had the behavioral interviews before too. In fact, most of of them have been that way in the last month. No discussion about my background or my skills, just one interrogation question after another. That is NOT the proper way to interview, in my opinion. I like interviews where I can give examples of what I've done in the past and show them how I can fit into the role they are trying to fill.

I've also left interviews in the past. When we are on question 14 and I feel as if I'm in a police interrogation, we're done. That's the beauty of being employed because you feel as if you can do things like that. When unemployed, I sat through their crap even though I wanted to run out of the room. And quite frankly, for an admin role, you don't need to be interviewed as if you're going to be the damn CEO of the company. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post

I've also left interviews in the past. When we are on question 14 and I feel as if I'm in a police interrogation, we're done. That's the beauty of being employed because you feel as if you can do things like that. When unemployed, I sat through their crap even though I wanted to run out of the room. And quite frankly, for an admin role, you don't need to be interviewed as if you're going to be the damn CEO of the company. Sheesh.

I don't like those interviews where they are reading from a long list of questions to ask.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:56 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

#3.) Solution - Start Your Own Business

This is CRAP. The only damn thing you can do today if you are a competent, intelligent, hard-working son of a gun...is start your own damn business!
Start your own business ONLY if you have all three of the following
* sufficient money to start the business and ride out losses
* business acumen AND
* a solid business plan

If one of the three is missing, your business winds up being one of the 85% who fail in 3 years.

Bankruptcy attorneys love the idea of people starting their own businesses, if one is missing any one of the three important things.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Please tell me the name of your company.

I think glassdoor and yelp would love to have a copy of your post.

Power tripping employers who dehumanize candidates should be a relic of the past.

His post is applauded by many on this forum who feel the exact same way he does. They just won't come out and say it.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't like those interviews where they are reading from a long list of questions to ask.
You can blame that on the EEOC and discrimination laws. Companies are forced to use written questions and minimize follow-up in order to ensure that they have treated all applicants equally. This also gives HR an opportunity to review the questions to make sure none of them could be interpreted as unfair to any protected group. I will always keep it to 10 questions or less and most interviews take only 30-45 minutes. When I had a business, my interview questions were all impromptu, but with only 3-4 employees I was not subject to the same laws.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
His post is applauded by many on this forum who feel the exact same way he does. They just won't come out and say it.
Yup. Judging people by stereotypes instead of facts - done by bad employers.

The fact is that employees are helping make them rich. They should be rewarded instead of stereotyped as bad.

That guy would NEVER dare to post the name of his company. He knows that the minute he does, his negative attitude will drive away the top talent he so desperately needs to become richer.

Last edited by bobsell; 06-04-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 AM

I am starting to see more places that want you to apply in person, yet even that still does not mean you will be hired or called for an interview. You will still not get to speak to a hiring manager right then and there. At best it gets you out of the house. At worst you will waste gas going from place to place to apply in person. I have applied recently in person and have heard nothing.

Some of the places I have already applied to online a few years back. What's the matter? Was the online application process you used that screwed up that you have now started to ask people to come in and apply in person? That seems to be the case.

But will it yield an interview and job offer? That is the question.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
#1 on the list is what I have observed and done myself. I have been offered jobs because someone liked me -- even when I didn't ask for one. Recently I trained someone at work to do my job so I can go on vacations. I picked the person I like best for the training.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:15 PM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Is the OP still around?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Is the OP still around?
This thread is 2 years old, I'm wondering if the OP actually read any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search