Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,573,484 times

Advertisements

A licensed professional like a doctor, nurse, or even attorney who lose their license over professional misconduct or criminal behavior. That would certainly make them unhirable in their profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Get a liberal arts degree.
Except that many liberal arts degrees are in high demand....

I suggest that people learn about college before posting incorrect information that can misguide people.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,905,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Except that many liberal arts degrees are in high demand....

I suggest that people learn about college before posting incorrect information that can misguide people.
That poster (neko) is a known conservative who trashes anything involving education.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Simply honestly answering the question "Why did you leave your last job" honestly in an interview can do it. Regardless of the reason for it, if the person says "I was fired" I know it would put me off as a hiring manager. As for the fear of lawsuit debate, no one will win a lawsuit if the former employer says they would not rehire the person. Most managers and HR people know very well how to avoid subjective answers to questions that could get them sued. Even an answer like "I would rather not say"tells them plenty without any danger of being sued.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That poster (neko) is a known conservative who trashes anything involving education.
I have seen her in the education section with similar views. People without an education tend to bash it.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Umm...be me! Seemingly, I am as "unhireable" as one gets.
Ha I feel the same way. I wish I could laugh about it like you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Simply honestly answering the question "Why did you leave your last job" honestly in an interview can do it. Regardless of the reason for it, if the person says "I was fired" I know it would put me off as a hiring manager. As for the fear of lawsuit debate, no one will win a lawsuit if the former employer says they would not rehire the person. Most managers and HR people know very well how to avoid subjective answers to questions that could get them sued. Even an answer like "I would rather not say"tells them plenty without any danger of being sued.
Seems like honesty in general is an easy way to not get hired. They always say they want someone who is honest but no one can handle the truth anymore if it's the least bit negative.

You don't have to say the part about being fired in an interview. Depending on the situation, I would think that when you are fired you can leave that part out and still be honest.
The unfortunate part is some online applications don't even leave space for the reason for leaving a job so you don't even get a chance to explain yourself. I am told though since it's been so long ago nobody would know that I was fired from that job but I would still feel funny putting I quit when I didn't.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 993,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Ha I feel the same way. I wish I could laugh about it like you though.
I have to laugh or I would probably commit suicide (not that *that* is a bad thing). Searching for a job is like going on acting auditions, you have to sell yourself (resume/application) and act the part (interview) that the potential employers want. It's tough especially if you do not know anyone who can help you get a job. I have to make light of my job search and laugh about it, as I know my qualifications and I know I can do any of the jobs I have applied to, and I can do them very well.

Job searching is all about persistence and luck. I am still awaiting the luck part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Seems like honesty in general is an easy way to not get hired. They always say they want someone who is honest but no one can handle the truth anymore if it's the least bit negative.
True, very true. Employers want you to be honest on your resume/application and they want you to be honest on the interview. Okay. I have no problem with that. But then if you are honest and say you have a "gap" in your employment because you were either fired, quit or took time off for family health problems/death, that is a big NO NO. It is easier to get a job if you just say you have a "gap" because you were in prison.

Case in point, I used to work in HR years ago as an HRIS Administrator, and I was told by the HR Manager that they wanted to hire more people under the WOTC Federal program (Work Opportunity Tax Credit), especially people just out of prison, because they received $3,000 for each WOTC hire. If you had a parole officer as your reference you were gold.

https://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/

Old 06-02-2016, 06:22 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have to laugh or I would probably commit suicide (not that *that* is a bad thing). Searching for a job is like going on acting auditions, you have to sell yourself (resume/application) and act the part (interview) that the potential employers want. It's tough especially if you do not know anyone who can help you get a job. I have to make light of my job search and laugh about it, as I know my qualifications and I know I can do any of the jobs I have applied to, and I can do them very well.

Job searching is all about persistence and luck. I am still awaiting the luck part.

True, very true. Employers want you to be honest on your resume/application and they want you to be honest on the interview. Okay. I have no problem with that. But then if you are honest and say you have a "gap" in your employment because you were either fired, quit or took time off for family health problems/death, that is a big NO NO. It is easier to get a job if you just say you have a "gap" because you were in prison.

Case in point, I used to work in HR years ago as an HRIS Administrator, and I was told by the HR Manager that they wanted to hire more people under the WOTC Federal program (Work Opportunity Tax Credit), especially people just out of prison, because they received $3,000 for each WOTC hire. If you had a parole officer as your reference you were gold.

https://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/

It isn't to me. If it was it would be easy for me to do. As a kid I aspired to be an actress but they're not hiring a character. They are hiring me. There is no script so my mind can't associate it as that.

I'm a very honest person. I always have been. The rare times I have lied in my life I'm really bad at it (I can't even figure out how to lie on those stupid attitude tests)
I would think if you leave out the part that you were fired and you just put it as the death in the family is what caused you to not work there anymore it would be okay. Also if I was in high school at the time I would think it would be natural for me to not stay at that job. The bigger part of the gap is I did the dumb thing and went to college but then I become overqualified for the jobs that require little experience.

Yeah even though I am sure of that it doesn't change the fact it's pretty messed up. On the applications I always put that the family receives food stamps but that doesn't seem to matter because I obviously don't get offers. I do see the part about disabilities on your link but the few times I have disclosed, I wonder if it bites me in the butt. I hear more about employees refusing disabled more than ex cons and it would make sense because you can't fix a disability at all but an ex con could turn their life around. If I say that I have been to the program would that make a difference? Do I just say it without them asking? The thing is when they have those applications online they do have the part about disclosing disability obviously but they don't mention it in the tax credit section. Also my coach said nothing about this. There should be a tax credit for people like me! I don't understand it because it's like the country doesn't want me to support myself and just live off the state money. I wish I had got diagnosed years ago. Maybe I would know how to handle it. I've obviously had it all my life but this whole thing feels new to me since I only got diagnosed last year and was not aware my "quirks" were partly a disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search