Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM

387 posts, read 554,447 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on your field. I am a medical provider/researcher/college instructor in a rural state, and due probably to the dearth of available professionals, I get a few messages every 1-2 months about jobs they want me for that pay very well. It helps I think that I have links with well known research and educational institutions around the world and in the state.

On the other hand, my husband was in finance, and we wonder about what the heck people are thinking when they certify or "approve" people for skills. For example, he switched fields 6 years ago now, and still every year or so someone goes onto his profile and says he has this finance skill or certification or whatever. He builds fly rods and re-stocks antique shotguns now. So, that is just random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 AM

429 posts, read 390,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I would totally have an account but I am not okay that everyone sees my work history. I am a very private people with certain people in my past that do not need to know where I work. It's unfortunate it's such an open networking website.
I totally agree. I feel the same way. Someone I know has a stalking ex boyfriend whom orders of protection and the police have done nothing to stop. LinkedIn would be the death of her, literally.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
That's how I got my internship! It was a job posting!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 AM

39 posts, read 36,561 times
While plenty of recruiters contact me on LinkedIn, it has led to a total of 5 interviews over the years. The meetings were for high-profile, high-pay positions in really good companies. There were no offers but at least it is somewhat useful; I wouldn't have found the jobs/interviews otherwise.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 AM

202 posts, read 224,487 times
Yes it really did lead to a job opportunity in my case.
I am still getting app. 4-5 offers every month.

Mechanical engineers in Czechia/Slovakia are quite in-demand, but I have never gotten any foreign job offer, so it might be that it's not so useful in other countries, or it might be useful only for specific branches which are in-demand as an alternative to a local job portals.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I've received some what could be promising contacts as well as a lot of recruiter/headhunter interest. Nothing has materialized from it.

It's good to have a well developed LinkedIn with recommendations, etc., but it seems to be of little tangible benefit.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
If you are not using LinkedIn, have no or very sparce profile with no picture, executive summary and full employment history then you may as well shoot yourself in the foot. People who don't use it are either not skilled enough to be in the market for any well paying jobs to begin with or are too old/out of touch with technology to be taken as a serious candidate.

While in the past couple of years it has become a bit more social with users sharing all kinds of "inspirational messages" and other such crap, it is still THE tool to find well paid employment. I have a whole system of working this and so far (I am currently in a job search) has resulted in interviews with a couple of very coveted companies in my space. These are companies where I have applied pn their websites directly and never got a response.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
LinkedIn is only good, if you are in corporate. It's terrible, if you work in entry level jobs in fast food, retail, or warehouses.

People hit me up for jobs on LinkedIn about twice a month.

Sometimes, it's the other way around. My former co-workers are applying for a management position. If I have a good relationship with the hiring manager, I will give a great recommendation. The hiring manager will tell the recruiter to set up the interview. I have vouched for 3 of LinkedIn contacts in the last 3 months. All of them got interviews.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-03-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
I am of the opinion that the mileage of LinkedIn varies greatly depending on what you bring to the table. Have that in-demand degree with years of experience? Then LinkedIn is pretty great- you will get those recruiters contacting you. What if you don't have a in-demand degree and you have little to no experience, or you are just starting out- then LinkedIn is pretty okay. Regardless you should have a LinkedIn no matter your job situation but it is not magic.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM

68 posts, read 123,240 times
LinkedIn is a drummed up job board people have been led to believe is a "professional" online service. Let me give you some LinkedIn facts: LinkedIn allows people regardless of their qualifications to pay to make it to the top of a list of applicants. That means, regardless of how well qualified a person is, LinkedIn instantly puts him at the top of all lists regardless. Say a person who lives in Seattle applies for a job in DC and that person has paid LinkedIn for the premium service, if they apply for fun, the Seattle person will instantly be #1 on the list even though they are no where in the vicinity of the job.

LinkedIn charges around $4,000 for a business to post 10 jobs. So it only captures a small segment of the jobs because smaller to midsize companies can't afford to pay that to post a job.

LinkedIn is a recruiter's paradise. This is how it works...it sends you to their website (or you can instantly apply with the click of a button) where you then apply and face their Applicant Tracking System where 80% of applicants are weeded out by a computer.

LinkedIn is nothing more than an online resume collector much like Career Builder, Monster and the countless others--only it allows people to look important with all these "connections" and a picture. However, it has marketed itself as a big successful "professional" job site so it can convince people it is the go-to for the job market---and it has worked in convincing people of such, just read the other posts.

Does it help people find jobs? Very few. What it does is make recruiters lives easier by allowing them to eliminate people at first glance or send them to company websites to face Applicant Tracking Systems (computers) that eliminate them for them. It is a decent tool for researching people, but it is nothing more than a decorated Career Builder with a lot of marketing dollars behind it. It is losing its value as people come to this realization---simply look at its earnings reports (it is a public company). LinkedIn lost almost half its value during its last earning's report because its revenues are sinking.

So in a long winded answer...sure, you can find a job there, just like you can on Career Builder and the other useless job sites that account for 1-2% of each company's hires.

Last edited by Abvincent1; 06-04-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search