U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,581 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the final stages of interviewing for two jobs. First, I should explain that I have been unhappy with my current job and location for many years now, and have been set on moving away-- in fact the vast majority of jobs I apply to require relocation.

However I found a job that is perfect for me-- in skills and the specific field I want to go into-- but it's in my current city. I'm in the last stage of the interview process and they're moving very quickly and seem to like me.

I'm also in the final round of interviewing for a job in NYC, the place I've been hoping to move to for a long time. This job would be enjoyable and fulfilling, but not exactly in the direction I want to go in professionally. They are also taking their sweet time in moving through the interviewing process.

My questions are- how would you prioritize location vs. career, if you've been set on moving for so long?

And how can I stall the process for the first job while hurrying up the NYC job? They haven't yet given me a date for a final interview, but I'm confident I will get one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,306,135 times
Just keep in mind what the COL difference is between your current city and NYC. I promise you (and I don't say this to discourage at all), NYC is so much more expensive than you think it'll be. Between city income tax and the overall cost for everything being through the roof...

Personally, if I didn't hate the city I was from, I'd go with that one. Job is better. However, since my home city IS NYC, lol....doesn't truly apply here, because I want out and I want out bad.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search