Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM

361 posts, read 725,314 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm just wondering how to do this. The employer already knows what I'm currently making, which is much less than what I'd get if I were a Staff. I'm currently a consultant with this International Organization so I'm hoping their offer won't be based on my current salary of $44000.

Background: I applied for one position, but I HR called me for another one that wasn't posted on their website. During the phone screening, she mentioned their starting salary of $46500, which I believe is entry level. I have about 2 and half years exp . I told the lady that I was looking for $50000. She said there's room for negotiation.

HR has recently requested to contact my previous supervisors and I should be getting an offer soon, if they do give the positive references they have promised me.

If/When they make an offer, how should I go about negotiating? This position requires the person to speak french, which I do- and there's going to be a lot of intl travel involved. Keep in mind, I did not have the full job description until during the interview where we into much more details. The one I was given prior the interview did not have anything.

Can I negotiate on the basis that although this is a great opportunity for me, the position has a lot more requirements and require more skills (which I have) than I previously thought? The tasks are not actually that difficult but I thought about mentioning this only because I did not have much of a job description for the position.
I also have more than 2 years experience in this field.

What specific examples can I use to convince them to give me the $50000? I'm also hoping they won't complicate things too much since we're only talking about $3500.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
I see no reason why they wouldn't give you $50k, but even if you ask, and they say no, you can then agree to the $46.5k and still work there. Or just walk away. The company knows they can say no and keep to their original offer as easily as you can just walk away from it. If they were willing to offer you a job, they won't pull offer just because you asked for more, they will just say no and leave it at that.

Ask for $50k, I don't really bother "justifying" it. It's the price for you to switch to their company. Unless you are trying to escape the current company, why would you need to jump ship so quickly? If you "miss" this job, another one will come up later on anyways. They already know what skills you bring, and you bring it at $50k or $46.5k. So it's up to them how much they want you.

I've gotten what I asked in past since they wanted me more than I cared to leave job at time. So I told them what it would take to "buy" me over and they paid. But it looks like they already "included" that with the slight bump from your current pay. Unless it is a higher position than you have now.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
The most effective negotiation would happen after you do your homework-have you researched what is salary range for this position with your experience and qualifications? If the range is from 46 to 54 and you are shooting for 50, this is very reasonable, however, if the position pays 48 at the top of the range, then you are stretching it a bit, I am not saying the company won't go for it, but it might take longer to wiggle or they will take a stand and say no, at this point, you have to be either prepared to take the final offer or walk away. In truth, though, it's not that much money to go from 46.5 to 50K and companies have already identified the person they want to hire, if they are confident you can do the job, they will have no issues giving you more, but when you ask for more, do not start whining saying how this job has so many responsibilities, much more than you expected, this is a position of weakness, they can say so what, this is what it is and this is how much it pays, instead, be strong and remind them why you can do a kick-a.. job and that's why you believe you are worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search