Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

I am worried that my short stay at previous jobs will affect future job opportunities. The jobs have been in different states and cities. But, it was unavoidable. I'm young, but employers probably won't know this unless they consider graduation dates.

1) Worked as a student worker for my alma mater for two years in the registrar's office. Because I graduated, I could no longer work for the university. I was getting my master's anyways.

2) Worked as a graduate instructor for two years while working on my Master's. Found a high school teaching job right after graduation.

3) Taught high school for two years, then decided it wasn't for me. Moved to another state for a job back in higher education.

4) Been at my current job for a few months, but I will probably move back closer to family in two years.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Could anyone in HR comment on how this looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
A lot of people don't consider two years at a job as being particularly short term. Leave off job #1. Unless you are trying to get a teaching job or back in higher ed, leave off job #2. Your professional work experience started with graduation and job #3.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Short Jobs on Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I am worried that my short stay at previous jobs will affect future job opportunities. The jobs have been in different states and cities. But, it was unavoidable. I'm young, but employers probably won't know this unless they consider graduation dates.

1) Worked as a student worker for my alma mater for two years in the registrar's office. Because I graduated, I could no longer work for the university. I was getting my master's anyways.

2) Worked as a graduate instructor for two years while working on my Master's. Found a high school teaching job right after graduation.

3) Taught high school for two years, then decided it wasn't for me. Moved to another state for a job back in higher education.

4) Been at my current job for a few months, but I will probably move back closer to family in two years.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Could anyone in HR comment on how this looks?
How does it look?

It looks like you jump around a lot.

Two years here, two years there; that is not very attractive, regardless of what anyone (with an opinion) tells you. I tell you this from the perspective of an employer.

If I hire you, will you quit on me in two years?

Can I be any more obvious?

Having said all that.....

What you cut from your resume will depend on what your message is and to what job(s) you are applying.

Even if jobs are dissimilar, there may be a factor to one that applies to another so think carefully before you cut jobs from an already skinny resume.

My career advice is that you need to focus. That's all I'm going to say.

In the meantime, you can use tricks of the trade to get past RR prejudice:

Include one former manager's name and title with each employment bullet:

This is not usually done in a "professional" resume but when a RR sees you have included your former boss's name, it will hopefully convey right off that you have 'good' references from that person or you would not be foolish enough to brandish their names in such an obvious manner.

You said:

"...But, it was unavoidable. I'm young, but employers probably won't know this unless they consider graduation dates."

This is you, talking to yourself. Employers will have their own conversation about the 'reasons' you may have had for jumping around so much. This is why I suggest you include your former managers' names so their assessments about you are tempered by seeing you have included their names. Go whole hog- include their phone numbers. You need all the help you can get so forget what others will say about having their phone numbers on your resume where every tom, dick and harry HR person can call them.

That's exactly what you want them to do. And, you want to make it easy for them to do so.

So let your past managers know you are making that contact info available on your "references" for future employers to call. Don't necessarily say you have put it on your resume; just say you have included it on your reference sheet. Get them to agree to take calls from HR/potential employers. They are the only ones who are going to call them, anyway.

All's Fair in Love and War and Getting a Job. You do what you have to do and you need all the help you can get. So make it as easy as possible for HR screeners to check you out so they will hear good stuff about you and pass you on to the HA's in their company.

If you had 'industry' experience, I could offer some coaching so you would know how to access industry but since you are in Teaching, well, that is not my forte so maybe MLM or certain other Regulars here can coach you on accessing teaching jobs.

And if you want an industry job, I still could not help you since you have so little that industry would recognize as a stepping off place.

I am assuming you are pointing your career toward Teaching.

That's it, down and dirty.

Paul.........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 07-05-2016 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: text edit, what else would it be....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search