Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:22 AM

282 posts, read 236,274 times

Advertisements

I'm moving across the country and am in something of a catch 22. The apartment I've applied for wants a notice of intent to hire from a company and to show an income. That would be fine except I can't exactly get a job there until I am actually there. I'm a fresh college graduate and can't rely on experience to leverage a job.

So what do you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Find another apartment.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM

When I did my search a few months ago when I was visiting there, it sounded like all apartments wanted the same expectations.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
I'm moving across the country and am in something of a catch 22. The apartment I've applied for wants a notice of intent to hire from a company and to show an income. That would be fine except I can't exactly get a job there until I am actually there. I'm a fresh college graduate and can't rely on experience to leverage a job.

This is one reason why it is incredibly difficult to relocate. You might try looking for roommate/subleasing situations rather than getting your own apartment.
The only other thing you can do is try private landlords. Some of them might be a little more likely to work with you. However, the majority of landlords/management companies are going to require proof of income.

Either way, best of luck to you!

Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
When I did my search a few months ago when I was visiting there, it sounded like all apartments wanted the same expectations.
Do you have the funds to pay 4-6 months in advance?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:

Have a fat bank account? Fat enough to ease the landlord's worries.

Last edited by jaypee; 06-09-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 02:14 PM

179 posts, read 248,645 times
I think you'd be better off either looking for a roommate situation, a sublease, or maybe even staying in a motel for the first few months. Just being real with ya.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you have the funds to pay 4-6 months in advance?
Actually I do. Doesn't seem to matter to the lady I talked to when applying. The first plan I made for moving is to have a lot saved up for just such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
I think you'd be better off either looking for a roommate situation, a sublease, or maybe even staying in a motel for the first few months. Just being real with ya.
As much as I cringe thinking about messy college roommate style people, I checked out options there for roommates and there's actually several that sound really promising. Definitely makes me feel a lot better about the prospects, so thank you for mentioning that! I've got two places I'm really hoping to hear back about already and at half the rent I'd expect from the apartment I was aiming at.
I also saw hotels with weekly rates. Cringeworthy prices (hundreds more than an apartment), but if I get particularly desperate, I can do that. Again, thanks!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:

I just did this.

I applied to jobs in the new state from my home state. I flew out there when I had enough interviews lined up. Once I had a job offer in hand, I relocated. In fact, I actually just arrived at my destination and have an apartment lined up (I move in tomorrow)!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Use short term apartments or corporate housing, it's more expensive but works out if you can afford it. Since you get shot to get to know area and job location before signing a year lease

Airbnb can rent for a month if you want a "house"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search