U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

546 posts, read 622,253 times

Advertisements

I am seeking new position but I am employeed. I think employers rather employ who is doesn't have a job to give them a chance rather who is employed.
should I fake that my job ended?
we all know there is no equality in hiring process. favortism runs the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 PM

22,395 posts, read 13,741,786 times
I'm sorry, but what kind of question is this, and where exactly did you get the impression that employers prefer hiring someone that is unemployed over someone employed, just to give them a chance?

Just do a simple google search on unemployment bias.

The Unemployment Bias: The Long-term Unemployed Face Severe Discrimination | ERE

Link after link shows bias against the unemployed when it comes to job search and applications. Some companies in fact specifically prohibit unemployed applicants in their listings. Being unemployed is as bad as being fired in many places.

So again, where did you get the impression that being unemployed is an edge among job applicants.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 PM

20,419 posts, read 40,934,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I think employers rather employ who is doesn't have a job to give them a chance rather who is employed.
Most ridiculous thing I heard today...
seriously.

Why on earth would you think that way?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:02 PM

3,101 posts, read 1,723,332 times
Suburban Guy and Pitt Chick are both so right I've no need to state anything else.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,205 posts, read 62,234,726 times
As a hiring manager, I hire the best qualified person regardless of whether they are currently employed or not, that makes no difference unless they have been unemployed a long time, that raises a red flag. I would never give preference to someone because they are unemployed. As it turns out, almost all of the people I have interviewed over the last few years have been working already, and just looking for something better.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 PM

10,636 posts, read 19,044,202 times
OP: I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your "Give them a chance" statement.

I agree with Hemlock.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 AM

4,624 posts, read 5,009,720 times
The one area where I see the unemployed having a leg up is if the business wants to offer a lowball salary and figures someone with no job will be much more likely to accept it. Or if the person with a job has been there less than a year and it is not a change in location or field- that tends to look like a desperation move.

Otherwise having a job is always preferable.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:45 PM

521 posts, read 210,223 times
OP, actually hiring managers like to hire the one that pretends he/she is happy at their job and don't want to change!!

cats and dogs

Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 30,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a hiring manager, I hire the best qualified person regardless of whether they are currently employed or not, that makes no difference unless they have been unemployed a long time, that raises a red flag. I would never give preference to someone because they are unemployed. As it turns out, almost all of the people I have interviewed over the last few years have been working already, and just looking for something better.
Is it rude to tell a hiring person that you are currently looking at other options as well. Honestly, i had 3 interviews last week, and told each one of them that I been contacted from other companies and will be debating on who hires me.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM

11,199 posts, read 15,445,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I am seeking new position but I am employeed. I think employers rather employ who is doesn't have a job to give them a chance rather who is employed.
we all know there is no equality in hiring process. favortism runs the world.
As an employer, we hire based on education, experience and aptitude. The only time employment status comes into play is when we are hiring for a special entry position. Those are positions we reserve for adults with physical or mental issues that are keeping them out of the normal workforce due to discrimination. We hire them so they can get actual work experience to be able to proof their value to an employer. Beyond that, employed or unemployed is not a determining factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanboots View Post
Is it rude to tell a hiring person that you are currently looking at other options as well. Honestly, i had 3 interviews last week, and told each one of them that I been contacted from other companies and will be debating on who hires me.
If you tell us during the interview you are looking at other position elsewhere, odds are your paperwork will get shred. During the interviews, unless we ask you about other potential offers, bringing it up is a kiss of death. Why would you mention it at that stage unless you are trying to intimidate us into making an offer?

Once a conditional offer is made, at that point telling us may adjust some factors of the conditional offer, but not much else. We are not hard up for employees and employees seldom are that good that we will shake in our boots because they have other offers. Sometimes, we say 'well, take one of the others' and withdraw our offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search