U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM

13,097 posts, read 4,190,264 times

Advertisements

I applied to a few different job postings on Indeed that ended up being for the same position.

Within two hours I was contacted by two different recruiters from the posting agencies.

The first asked me a lot of questions about my background and work history and at the end of the conversation, asked me to supply a four digit pin number to submit my resume to the hiring company, a large chemical firm. I gave him a made up number and afterwards he sent me an email requesting the year I graduated high school, which is not on my resume.

The second was less thorough about talking to me about my work history but wanted me to provide my complete date of birth and the last four digits of my SS number.

I declined to give it out over the phone, and asked them to send me an email detailing the need for that information. They stated that the hiring company uses the last four digits of applicants SS# as a tracking tool for applicants.

A quick google search on this was inconclusive.....some results say it could be legit, while others say there is no reason for a headhunter to request this personal information and they could be using it to pre screen candidates by age or worse.

Anyone have experience with this? The job is one I really would like to land, so I don't want to screw up my chances by being overly paranoid......but then again, something just doesn't feel quite right about them asking for this info either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM

9,245 posts, read 4,529,769 times
They should be sending you a application to give consent to utilize the information for job back ground check.
Such ( if done electronically) should have a electronic signature as well.

Request the proper forms .

Most times they use your information and sell it to other companies or recruiters.

Ask them about the privacy clause .

Old 06-22-2016, 12:46 PM

13,097 posts, read 4,190,264 times
To the moderator who moved this post:

I specifically put this post in work and employment on purpose, rather than the sub section of job search in order to hopefully get more views and possibly more and faster answers to my question.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,543,892 times
If the company you are talking to has its office outside the US, they don't care about your privacy or security. They routinely e-mail your full information including your complete social security number without your permission or knowledge. I know this because a friend of mine is trying to get the payroll office (which is located in India) to fix a payroll problem. And as proof they are working on the properly, they firmed him the e-mail exchanges they had and it included his pay information, SSN, and all the information on his current pay check stub.

If the real question you are asking, if this fraud. Not likely, their just being sloppy with your information because it's more expedient to do so.

What can you do about it? Only work with US companies that don't have offices or personnel working outside the US.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:44 PM

299 posts, read 286,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
They should be sending you a application to give consent to utilize the information for job back ground check.
Such ( if done electronically) should have a electronic signature as well.

Request the proper forms .

Most times they use your information and sell it to other companies or recruiters.

Ask them about the privacy clause .
And don't provide consent or any sensitive information unless and until you have a written job offer outlining position, salary, and any other specifics discussed. The letter will state that the offer is conditional upon successful bacground check.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 12,647 times
I would not give out the number because it could be stolen, and that would not be a good thing.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 PM

22,238 posts, read 13,612,662 times
Along with what the OP says, a search on Google seems inconclusive.

There appears to be no specific laws against employers or recruiters asking for SS number.

For sure it is required for employment verification and background check usually after official job offer.

But it is up to applicant to determine the risk of giving out SS number to recruiter, or anyone for that matter. That's the only advice that can be given to anyone asking about this.

Again, it's not an illegal request.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:42 PM

13,524 posts, read 19,022,991 times
They're not asking for the SS#, they're just asking for the last 4 digits. Heck, just give them 1111 or whatever, as long as you can remember it.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 PM

18,672 posts, read 10,994,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I applied to a few different job postings on Indeed that ended up being for the same position.

Within two hours I was contacted by two different recruiters from the posting agencies.

The first asked me a lot of questions about my background and work history and at the end of the conversation, asked me to supply a four digit pin number to submit my resume to the hiring company, a large chemical firm. I gave him a made up number and afterwards he sent me an email requesting the year I graduated high school, which is not on my resume.

The second was less thorough about talking to me about my work history but wanted me to provide my complete date of birth and the last four digits of my SS number.

I declined to give it out over the phone, and asked them to send me an email detailing the need for that information. They stated that the hiring company uses the last four digits of applicants SS# as a tracking tool for applicants.

A quick google search on this was inconclusive.....some results say it could be legit, while others say there is no reason for a headhunter to request this personal information and they could be using it to pre screen candidates by age or worse.

Anyone have experience with this? The job is one I really would like to land, so I don't want to screw up my chances by being overly paranoid......but then again, something just doesn't feel quite right about them asking for this info either.
If I have the last 4 digits of your social security number, can guess your age and know where the number was issued I can guess your number.

The first 3 numbers indicate the state where the number was issued. The thief will assume you were born in the state where you live, or you may have casually given out the place of birth. Alabama, for instance, is 416 through 424.
The next 2 numbers are 0-99.
The last four are the key to everything. They mean nothing without the first 3 + 2.

They do not need the last 4 digits of your social security number. Since there is no way for them to verify, you should just make up a number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search