Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 228,589 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I recently got hired at a local Target on 7/20/15. I got to official forums that they gave me, stating that I got the job. I had a hour and a half interview and I got interviewed by 3 different people, last manager hired me on the spot. Anyways, they told me I didn't have to do a drug test, just a background check and then I can begin orientation. I obviously have no problem with that, but the thing is it's now 8/8/15 and I still haven't heard back from them, any reason why it could be taking this long? Already called in to check up on things and they still said I haven't cleared... I really do not want to call again because I don't want to seem like a pest. Anyways, I'm new to this forum and I apologize if I posted in the wrong area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 04:22 PM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exogen View Post
Hey guys, so I recently got hired at a local Target on 7/20/15. I got to official forums that they gave me, stating that I got the job. I had a hour and a half interview and I got interviewed by 3 different people, last manager hired me on the spot. Anyways, they told me I didn't have to do a drug test, just a background check and then I can begin orientation. I obviously have no problem with that, but the thing is it's now 8/8/15 and I still haven't heard back from them, any reason why it could be taking this long? Already called in to check up on things and they still said I haven't cleared... I really do not want to call again because I don't want to seem like a pest. Anyways, I'm new to this forum and I apologize if I posted in the wrong area.

I just had one done that took three and a half weeks (about 15 business days). I was in the same boat as you, calling them/wondering what was taking so long. The company that hired me didn't really know anything as to what causes them to drag out, but it eventually came back and I was able to start working. If there is something coming up that is a problem, the people that do the background check will notify your employer, who will then notify you as far as I know.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:54 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
What kind of background check do you need for Target outside of using e-verify for legal status and a criminal check against that registry? But the e-verify might be backlogged too

Full background checks to me are for govt workers or other clearance jobs. Not for retail Jobs at least

Old 08-08-2015, 05:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
Sometimes it just takes that long. For one company I worked for, it took almost 4 weeks for the background check to come back. Another company took just under 2 weeks. Yet another took only 2 days, including the drug test, and I was all clear on the third day. Depends on the background company used and what the requirements are given by the hiring company.

If there is an issue with your background check, the hiring company could get contacted with further questions or they may just say they were unable to verify or something questionable came up. Then its up to the employer to decide what they want to do with the results.

I will add, if you provided any references, check with them to see if they have been contacted at this point. Typically, if all else is fine, being unable to reach the references you provided is typically the bottleneck.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:09 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I was hired by Walmart and I gave them 2 people for background check. Thank God I'd made good friends at a new church and left on good terms with my former boss. I had one earlier, but he'd be let go from the previous company. Always helps to have somewhat solid backers.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Sometimes it just takes that long. For one company I worked for, it took almost 4 weeks for the background check to come back. Another company took just under 2 weeks. Yet another took only 2 days, including the drug test, and I was all clear on the third day. Depends on the background company used and what the requirements are given by the hiring company.

If there is an issue with your background check, the hiring company could get contacted with further questions or they may just say they were unable to verify or something questionable came up. Then its up to the employer to decide what they want to do with the results.

I will add, if you provided any references, check with them to see if they have been contacted at this point. Typically, if all else is fine, being unable to reach the references you provided is typically the bottleneck.
Yeah, I actually just got in contact with my x-managers (because I'm still very good friends with them) and they said that they haven't received any calls yet. Also, I forgot to say that I am from Colorado, and I've been in Florida for about a year. I know I'm a legal Florida resident, because I just registered for classes at Valencia College!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
What kind of background check do you need for Target outside of using e-verify for legal status and a criminal check against that registry? But the e-verify might be backlogged too

Full background checks to me are for govt workers or other clearance jobs. Not for retail Jobs at least
I honestly don't know what kind of background check they are doing. This is only my 3rd retail job haha.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I just had one done that took three and a half weeks (about 15 business days). I was in the same boat as you, calling them/wondering what was taking so long. The company that hired me didn't really know anything as to what causes them to drag out, but it eventually came back and I was able to start working. If there is something coming up that is a problem, the people that do the background check will notify your employer, who will then notify you as far as I know.
Alright well it's good to see that this doesn't happen to just me... haha. I'm just currently unemployed atm and left my previous job that's the only reason I'm anxious about this! I guess I just gotta be patient, but that's hard when you have bills to pay.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Criminals records checks can be slow if you live/lived in a state (e.g. New Hampshire) where the state does not offer an online interfaces to criminals records; an investigator has to actually go to the state bureau and manually query for your record (or lack of a record). The employer pays a company to run the check, and they subcontract these records checks to a firm in the state where the records are located, but all this usually adds a few days to the turnaround time.

In my experience, few firms bother to contact references, as references from your previous employer are usually forbidden to do anything more than confirm dates of employment, they can get this from H.R with less delay.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 AM

Also, I'm just getting paranoid here, but a employer can't take back a job offer without alerting the person about it, can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search