Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM

521 posts, read 289,233 times

Advertisements

We all hear stuff like it is not what you know it is who you know, network with people who work at the company you want to work for, reach out, get referral, ...etc

Reaching out people you actually know (friends, family, coworkers) is not difficult. You can ask them to help or give them your resume and they most probably willing to help.

But HOW to reach out if you don't know someone there or you have no idea who is the hiring manager?

I use Linkedin every day and I ask recruiters sometimes, sometimes they come back to me ... etc, but I don't want recruiters: I want the hiring manager, I want complete strangers to help me and act as internal referral to me.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
I've never tried this but I've been told it works reasonably well is that when you reach out to strangers on LinkedIn, don't directly ask for jobs or referrals to jobs. Instead, introduce yourself (a two-sentence elevator pitch about who you are) and ask for advice on what it takes to get hired on in that company -- what does the company or department value and look for?
Then take it from there. No hardsell. No begging.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 16,308 times
Go to meetups related to your profession.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,242,050 times
Linkedin changed quite a bit several months ago after there was some spamming. I will say that a former employer found me on there, I was brought in at a sweet salary, but they had burned thru several people prior and they burned thru me too.
I found going through an agency was the ticket. But not everyone is as willing. Indeed and Monster were the biggest wastes of time. Only CL, Linkedin and agencies dispensed me employment. Don.t rely on just one!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,469,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've never tried this but I've been told it works reasonably well is that when you reach out to strangers on LinkedIn, don't directly ask for jobs or referrals to jobs. Instead, introduce yourself (a two-sentence elevator pitch about who you are) and ask for advice on what it takes to get hired on in that company -- what does the company or department value and look for?
Isn't that the basics of networking? Knowing what the other people need and letting them know what skills you have? When something opens, they already know you can do the job.

Might be a year later but networking isn't shopping, no instant gratification. It takes time and effort to network

Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,088 posts, read 80,136,113 times
As a hiring manager, some random person contacting me based on my LinkedIn profile would get a response like "all openings are listed on the company website." Networking that provided familiarity with a person could help if there was an opening for a position and I knew about them when they applied. That comes from things like belonging to LinkedIn groups and participating in discussions, meeting people and talking to them at various industry conferences and user groups, even volunteering if the company does some kind of charitable event.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 AM

925 posts, read 1,326,071 times
Approaching a complete stranger for a referral does not make sense in the online realm. I think at the very least, you would have to goto an in-person networking event so the other person can at least use his spider-man sense to determine your personality or traits.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Definitely not asking for jobs that would be annoying. Thank you for your advice I am doing something similar, but instead of asking about the company itself I ask in general.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmbam View Post
Go to meetups related to your profession.
That is a great idea that I can do when I'm there. Do you know in general on how to get to the professional meetups? how to know about the networking events? any specific websites?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Linkedin changed quite a bit several months ago after there was some spamming. I will say that a former employer found me on there, I was brought in at a sweet salary, but they had burned thru several people prior and they burned thru me too.
I found going through an agency was the ticket. But not everyone is as willing. Indeed and Monster were the biggest wastes of time. Only CL, Linkedin and agencies dispensed me employment. Don.t rely on just one!
I get spams from monster or indeed IDK which one, I like Linkedin and find it professional and helpful. Didn't try craiglist but will see.

Tell me one thing about agencies. What do you do when they ask you not to apply directly for jobs, or question your applications and where do you apply, or ask you not to use other agencies? I had this problem with them.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search